Mower Madness

Read the whole article here..... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080726/ap_on_fe_st/odd_mower_madness ;_ylt=AiRay1lEr0UkghH0hKV6gN.s0NUE
Fri Jul 25, 11:41 PM ET
MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man was accused of shooting his lawn mower because it wouldn't start. Keith Walendowski, 56, was charged with felony possession of a short-barreled shotgun or rifle and misdemeanor disorderly conduct while armed.
According to the criminal complaint, Walendowski said he was angry because his Lawn Boy wouldn't start Wednesday morning. He told police quote, "I can do that, it's my lawn mower and my yard so I can shoot it if I want."
A woman who lives at Walendowski's house reported the incident. She said he was intoxicated.
Walendowski could face up to an $11,000 fine and six years and three months in prison if convicted.
A call to Walendowski's home went unanswered Friday morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080726/ap_on_fe_st/odd_mower_madness ;_ylt=AiRay1lEr0UkghH0hKV6gN.s0NUE
If the mower was a Honda, he would have been charged with a hate crime

RBM wrote:

Well, now it's going to be interesting what the courts have to say about the prohibition on possession of a "short-barreled shotgun or rifle". In light of the recent Supreme Court ruling the felony could go away.
--John
J. Clarke wrote> RBM wrote:

Short-barreled shotguns are not illegal per se. Only unregistered and untaxed short-barreled shotguns are illegal.
Too, he may have been charged under a state law prohibiting same. So far, the 2nd Amendment does not apply to the states or their political subdivisions. States are free to completely prohibit guns if they wish.
HeyBub wrote:

Unregistered, untaxed, and made before 1986.

Actually, as of June 26, it does. On that date the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to keep and bear arms.
--John