Mower Excessive Grass Buildup under Deck

Anyone found a way to keep grass from building up on under the deck of lawnmowers. I have a Ferris 48" Zero Turn and the grass builds up so thick after one or two mowing, that it will not cut. I am not cutting the grass until late afternoon either, so it is a dry as it is going to get. Blades are sharp. Any suggestions appreciated

Roanin

Reply to
ROANIN

Quick check list: Blades mounted correctly? Not upside down? Correct blades for machine? Enough outlet area for cuttings? 'Mulching' mower setup is often just restricted deck outlets. Cutting height correct? Too low keeps cuttings under the deck, and too much of them. Give the grass a chance and cut it high and often like the pros do. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Pam? That's what I use to keep snow from sticking to the snow shovel.

It doesn't work very well though with the aluminum shovel I've been using. I keep using it because someone said it worked, and I imagine things would be worse if I didn't. Maybe I could test it and find out?

WD-40? :)

Spray silicone?

Spray on scrap oil?

Reply to
mm

Ive used Slip Plate on my snowblower and shovel, it works. My neighbor has the same blower and after I did mine we were both out and the spray made mine shoot about 5-10 ft farther. It says for mowers and id try it now except where I am now I have to mail order it, it will help from how ive seen it work, but is it proper blade and its on right, proper engine rpm

Reply to
ransley

Cut it more often so it takes less of a bite. It should be kept about 3" high.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

3"?

lmao

I practically plow the dirt with my mower.

As far as I'm concerned, the shorter I cut it, the longer I can go before mowing it again!

And yeah, my mower used to clog up too. At least until I took a hacksaw, a prybar, and a minisledge to it to open up a wider grass-output-port (or whatever you want to call it, lol).

Reply to
ShadowTek

ShadowTek wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@desktop.localdomain:

Shadow, u r dumb. lmao lmao

Reply to
Stepfann King

Hmmm, Grass too wet? Cutting too low? Spray Pam or WD-40 under side of the deck.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, You are lawn killer and mower demolisher, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Leaving the grass longer prevents weeds and makes it more drought tolerant.

Reply to
salty

Root depth is proportional to grass height, the taller the better.

Reply to
ransley

Not exactly. You let the grass grow tall and the roots will go deeper, but when you cut that grass, the roots will remain deep. After that, leaving the grass a little long helps by shading and protecting the moisture in the earth, and also by making it harder for new weeds to start in that shade.

Reply to
salty

Right, you explained it fully, I didnt.

Reply to
ransley

-snip-

I am also a grass 'plower'. I prefer brown spots and weeds to mosquitos.

Though it probably depends on where you live-- I rarely have brown spots. [lots of weeds, though. I like them- nothing more monotonous than a plain green lawn]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My solution is to remove more lawn area every year and replace it with groundcover, rock gardens, a few annuals and lots of perennials.

Reply to
salty

Try using different blades to pick up & throw grass.

rgentle

My yard ain't nothing but weeds anyway. lol

And if the grass dies, that just means I get to go *even longer* before I have to mow it again! lol

Reply to
ShadowTek

When not just get rid of it all and replace it with corn? lol

Unless you actually use a grassy area for playing or whatnot, it's just wasted space as far as I'm concerned.

But this's comming from a guy that has around an acre of land to toy with.

Reply to
ShadowTek

Try going slower, especially when you get into the shade where the moisture will hold longer. Set the cut to 4". If you have a Ferris ZT don't try to kid us - you're having more fun than the majority, and mowing an extra time or two during the summer is a joy with one of those things. :)

Keith

It must be 'juicing' the grass too much. It's not cutting with the blunt side of the blade is it?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw