mower deck spindle *bearings*, generally, and 'old grasshopper ZTR spindles' in particular - repurposing

hi guys
is it "standard industry practice" to use tapered roller bearings, top and bottom, in 'most' mower deck spindles, generally? if so, are the upper and lower bearings 'generally' the same size? or maybe they're 'angular contact' type? I'm seeking a 'general' answer here and do realize 'it may vary'...
I have an ancient grasshopper ZTR mower I'm parting out, and (because of shockingly high new bearing prices) I'd like to 'repurpose' one of the (three) 44 inch mower deck spindles, =if= it contains tapered roller bearings (or angular contacts). the mower is a model 1820, and the spindle 'carrier' housings are cast iron (if that helps any). obviously, I haven't dismantled a housing yet 'to look inside'...I want to use one of those spindles to 'carry' a drill press countershaft pulley rig I'm building, either 'in its entirety', or, possibly, just the upper and lower bearings complete, less the housing.
the drill press countershaft rig 'in progress': http://machines.awardspace.com/countershaft /
grasshopper spindle pics (bottom of images): http://machines.50webs.com/Grasshopper_ZTR/photos/photo34.html http://machines.50webs.com/Grasshopper_ZTR/photos/photo36.html
the old grasshopper, top of site: http://machines.50webs.com/Grasshopper_ZTR /
thanks for educating me :-)
toolie
-- replies, if any, by e-mail should remove the 'weirdstuff' from my address before you click 'send' - thanks :-) --
I pass - but I'm curious to see what replies you get.