Mower dealer said do not wash mower

Page 2 of 2

No. 1. The bearings should be weatherproof. and as grass will stick under the deck to the housing unless removed it will cause the deck housing to rust out sooner.. So I would say washing and then running a while to dry it out would be the smart thing to do. But to each his own. I had a snapper that I ran for 28 yrs and then sold it for $50,00 and it was still in top shape. Yes it was washed and taken care of. There is a word that spells out how long a piece of equip-ment lasts and that word is -"MAINTENANCE!"

Sure. Everybody has a compressor in the garage, right? Air hose. Yep.
"Washing" does not necessarily mean blasting water into all the crevices. There are ways to do it carefully. Leave the mower in the sun for a while until it dries.

better anyway. Bob-tx

Yeah, but then you'd have another problem: A leaf blower. :-)
Sorry, but I'm amused by my neighbors who take five hours to clear leaves off the lawn with their stupid noisy toys. I can collect twice as much in an hour using a rake. It's weird, but true. Maybe these people never went to leaf blower school or something.

What is wrong with just mowing over them? I haven't raked leaves in over 30 years and I have a couple of maples along with many other trees.
Harry K

Depends on how many there are, whether they're really wet, and whether I have time to plan to mow them only on days when they're NOT wet. I also use about half of them for composting, and for digging into the garden bed soil.
[snip]

I've never used a leaf blower, and the only time I've raked leaves since I moved here (7 years ago) was last December when the pear tree dropped its leaves after I had the holiday decorations out (and so couldn't use the mower).
BTW, I know a neighbor who does use a (gas) leaf blower, and has a 4-year-old daughter who gets scared when she hears that really loud thing.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

The guy across the street from me - his leaf blower lost its muffler a couple of years ago. Imagine two sounds mixed in equal proportions: shop vac and dentist's drill. Now, imagine them sent through the sound system at a major baseball stadium, and you're standing 10 feet from the PA speaker. He thinks it's funny. And, he'll spend hours chasing one leaf around the yard.
I think the reason none of us have killed him is that because we're hoping his wife does it first.

Those damned leaf blowers. I can see why some towns ban them. People who use them seem completely oblivious that the noise is disrupting the entire neighborhood because they just drone on and on, blowing some imaginary blade of grass around. Get a broom!
Last fall the neighbor's annoying lawn guys did the leaf cleanup. Four young, presumably healthy guys with gas blowers. One third acre, 100 X 150 feet, half covered with house, pool, patio. Hours they kept at it, the din was unreal. I left the house twice to get away from it, couldn't believe they were still at it when I got back. I could have raked that property clean with a rake by myself in four hours, for pete's sake.
I think some people just think blowers are cool. The future deaf people of America.
nancy

Obviously, otherwise they'd be done clearing twice as many leaves in half the time than if using a stupid quiet rake. Pass the ibuprofen.
--
JR

Better than what? Certainly not better than compressed air. No way.
--
JR

Hmmmmm... I wonder how many have the air hose and NOT a compressor.
Anyway, if they DON'T have an air compressor (and air hose [duh]), now is the time to get one. "Entry level" air compressors are almost CHEAP.
I have had the same, consumer-grade, Ingersoll-Rand compressor in my garage for at least 20-years. It wasn't particularly expensive when I bought it new. It's a cinch that I have gotten my money's-worth out of it.
Besides, if the OP can afford a Scag mower, chances are that, if he doesn't already HAVE an air compressor, buying one should be no trouble.
--
JR

Did they warn ya not to let it get wet in the rain? It happens. Do cars fall apart when you wash them or drive them in the rain? Underhood has as many or more bearings and belts as a mower and they survive water. Does the mower instructions tell you not to get it wet? I think this is advice on the same level as urban myths and old wives tales - once started they have a way of perpetuating themselves until fiction is stronger than truth.
KC

Perhaps you wash under the hood with a hose, I don't, so can't answer your question. But, I'd suggest he follow the dealer's instructions. Bob-tx

Strange. I read through most of the replies. Didn't see one that said anything but "I heard...". Now let us apply some logic here.
Do you really think that something that will harm your very expensive equipment would _not_ be mentioned in the manual. That it would be left to the dealer to tell the customer?
Don't ask here, go direct to the manufacturer, they must have customer service that you can call. Don't take a salesman's word for something like that.
Harry K
I had a brain malfunction. Your advice is right on. I didn't even consider that. Thanks!
Roger

If/when you get the official word, please post the results.
Harry K

I have a Toro Personal Pace Mower. In the instruction manual it calls for hosing off the mower with water as necessary.
However it does state to have the mower running while washing it.
Check your owner's manual.
So, wash the mower. Just take some WD or other spray oil, and relube the berrings a couple times a year. Problem solved.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.