Mower dealer said do not wash mower

Page 1 of 2
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has anyone heard of this? Comments?
Thanks,
Roger

Hi Roger,
I have heard of this and also never wash my mower a Honda 21 inch. What I do do is have some nylon scrubbing brushes that I quickly go over the mower with to get most of the grass and dust off it.
By the way what are your impressions on the SCAG? I was looking at them and they look like a really good machine, and was thinking about getting one, though perhaps not as large as yours. What engine size did you go for? One final question is does it do well on slopes?
Best, Mike.

I get mud on the tractor or something similar.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:47:35 -0400, "digitalmaster"

Do you ever mow wet grass?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Mike,
I've only had the Scag for about 2 weeks, but love it so far. It's a mowing machine...mows our 3 acres in about a third of the time that our little rider did. It does very well on slopes. The deck is so large and sits so close to the ground, it takes the slopes extremely well. Ours has a 27 horse Kohler engine.
Roger

What model did you get? Belt or hydraulic drive? Deck width?
I'm green...
--
:)
JR

Here's something more that "I heard" but it applies to newer John Deere riding mowers. My neighbor across the street from me AND another friend of mine bought similar John Deere riding mowers (nice ones) late last year. They both wash their mowers - not every time they use them but when they get dirty enought to wash them. They both run them afterwards to dry them out. BOTH of these mowers have been in the shop SEVERAL times already having deck bearings replaced. Less than a year old!
IMHO, this isn't a problem with washing the mower - you should be able to wash it without problems. The problem is poor design.
JM
On 29 Jun 2007 12:25:57 -0700, jeffreydesign

I used to think John Deere, Honda, and Lawnboy were good mowers, but it just turns out that they are no better than others, just overpriced. I'm having good luck with Toro mowers. And I have a neighbor that has been using a Sears mower for over 12 years without any needed repairs.

In the 21 years that my parents have lived in their house my father has purchased 2 lawn tractors, The first was a toro that lasted 15 yrs (being abused by a teenage son I might add) and the other was a craftsman that him and my mother both love.
BTW as a 14 year old, after taking off the catcher and the blade the toro was one heck of an ATV.
John
this newsgroup with:

I went back to Toro mowers after trying a Honda and a Yardman. Both were "ok" but the Toro is built like a tank, *always* starts on the first pull and I don't even bother thinking of a tune up except every 5 or 6 years.

Strange. My oldest Honda (walkbehind) is a few years over 20 now. Never had a tune-up...well, I did give it a new plug and fuel filter about 10 years ago, wore the rubber off the drive wheels twice, replaced the clutch cable once. Smokes like a lawn fogger at startup now but that clears as soon as a load is applied.
As for "always starts first pull...." Toro does not build their motors, they run the same motors as other makes.
Harry K

Had a ($650) walk-behind Honda mower with the plastic "bullet proof" deck and the deck started cracking near stress points. Honda makes good small engines, though.

Honda walk-behind did, but for 1/3 the price. I looked at the Honda, and the deck was nicer, but not that much nicer. Still big and heavy with all those silly-ass 'safety' features that make mowing take 3 times as long. The Honda engine has stood up well to my abuse- change oil once a year, change air filter when it gets plugged, always starts first pull. (My yard is a rough mess, with lots of dirt showing, so it does get dusty in dry weather.)
Now if somebody would bring back the old lightweight LawnBoy staggered-wheel magnesium deck, with a Honda engine, we would have a winner.
aem sends...

I HAVE heard that washing is unnecessary at least and potentially damaging at worst.
I regularly washed at least one of the Toro mowers I have owned over the years with no ill effect.
After hearing that washing can be A Bad Thing<tm>, I began using only compressed air to clean my new mowers after each use.
Since you bought a Scag - a commercial mower - and probably paid dearly for it, I would expect it to withstand regular washing with no ill effect.
<http://www.scag.com/turftiger.html

A Scag is designed to operate in virtually ALL mowing conditions - including rain. I don't think you'll hurt your new mower by washing it, but I would do so only occasionally. Compressed air is a lot less messy than horsing-around with hoses and water anyway.
--
:)
JR

No project too small

I had a Bolens mulching mower that had a nose connection on it to wash the underside of the deck. Hook up the hose, start the mower, then turn on the water.
Mike D.

After washing run the mower for a short time to dry it

If he's going to go against dealer advice, why bother to run it afterward? It's not going to dry out all the little nooks and crannies the water is going to get into.
Steve
This was the same advice I got with my Cub Cadet. Washing is OK for under the deck but for everything else --blow it off. So everytime I get the leaf blower out, I give the lawn tractor a blast of air. Occasionally, I will wash it with car wash detergent. The blower does work better at removing the dried leaves and grass on top of the deck than the hose does.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:41:54 -0500, rogerfisher wrote:

Yep, just blow your mower.
rogerfisher wrote:

It's kinda' excessively anal advice for water in the bearings as the reason against it for any quality mower -- cheap stuff w/ sleeves or open rollers, sure, but w/ modern sealed bearings on spindles and even on front axles of a mower of this size/quality, it just ain't a problem.
Where there is more of an issue in my mind is long term on the nooks and crannies of the deck where water will collect and could _eventually_ cause some rust/corrosion from the inevitable paint chips and dust/dirt that collects where it can't ever get completely removed in those crevices.
It isn't all that great to get belts wet repeatedly, either.
So, overall, I tend to agree washing is best left to infrequently and restrained to the cosmetics and to use air to clean the debris/dirt of the deck, etc., regularly.