Moving Windows

Most of the windows in my house seem to move when the temperature changes. On colder days I can see about 1/16 inch gap around the outside calking. As soon as the temperature warms up the gap closes up. I have recalked with a good quality calking twice now, but the problem persists. Someone suggested that perhaps the windows were installed incorrectly. There are no visible signs of movement or cracks in the foundation or around door/window jams or molding.Any ideas???

Reply to
Mark Longo

what kind of good quality caulk did you use? in a situation like that you would want an extremely flexible oil based caulk, either polyurethane or one part urethane or something similar. it shouldn't be water clean up, nor should you use silicon. these can be tough to find in the big box stores. I have used vulkem, chem-caulk, np-1, to name a few brands. there are others.

Reply to
marson

My buddy is a conrtactor and got the calking for me. I am not sure what he brought over, but he did say he got a good quality calking. I will ask him. But I am really trying to learn what would cause the windows to move so much with no obvious movement anywhere in the house.

Reply to
Mark Longo

what kind of siding is on the house? do you know that the window is moving, or is the trim/siding shrinking in the cold? do the sashes operate? do they leak cold air or water? from what you've said, your problem sounds like it due to thermal contraction/expansion. hard to see how that could relate to an installation.

again, you could be using the best caulk money could buy, but it needs to be the right type. i guarantee you there are caulks out there that can handle this type of movement.

Reply to
marson

Yeah, cause "the outside caulking" is a clear, precise, and accurate description of where the problem occurs. There is, after all, only one seam that could possibly be described as "outside". Be sure that you don't tell us if the windows are original or replacement, for certain don't mention if they're vinyl, wood, or metal. A picture posted somewhere would be totally over the top. Anyone who can't just pull all the relevent information out the ether is clearly unqualified to give competent advice anyway. Oh, and it's dangerous to tell anyone where the house is, on account of you might attract stalkers.

Reply to
Goedjn

Consider the following procedure:

  1. Question asked.

  1. Information presented sufficient: Answerer answers question. END Information presented insufficient: Answerer asks for clarifying information.

  2. Questioner gives clarifying information.

  1. Clarifying information sufficient: Answerer answers question. END Clarifying information insufficient: Answerer asks more precise questions.

And, this accompanying hint: not everyone in earshot (or Usenet-shot) has to consider themselves an answerer.

In other words, if the above procedure overwhelms your meagar patience, you can take the option to STFU.

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty