Moving Well tank, PVC or Copper?

I have a well tank in a poor location in my basement. The water line coming from the well is currently PVC.

I was planning on running PVC up the wall, through the floor joists and down to the new location.

Any issues doing this?

Reply to
theedudenator

Not from the limited description. What, specifically, were you concerned about?

--

Reply to
dpb

Are there any issues with using PVC pipe to relocate the well pressure tank?

Reply to
theedudenator

You said the feed line is already PVC...

--

Reply to
dpb

That does not mean it is correct.....

Reply to
theedudenator

Hi, Ours is all PEX plumbed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

PVC is more inclinded to split under pressure, PEX is better for indoor use, and very cheap too:)

Reply to
hallerb

I am not talking about the plumbing. Just the water supply line from the well.

Reply to
theedudenator

PVC is the standard for all cold water around here.

Reply to
gfretwell

That wasn't the question asked. :)

The point I was making is unless you're also replacing the existing supply line from the well as well as simply moving the pressure tank and making the additional run (the latter being what your original post suggested) you're still going to have PVC so might as well keep it the same.

But, there's certainly nothing wrong w/ using PVC Sch 40 from a material selection standpoint--it's pretty much standard for most places.

--

Reply to
dpb

IT'S FINE! Pvc is fine....

That does not mean it is correct.....

Reply to
Steve Barker

My pressure tank was plumbed with PVC. No issues at all. I believe the pressure switch has to be close to the tank too. I moved my tank once without moving the switch and had problems with the pump cycling off and on rapidly. Problems went away when I moved the switch as well.

Reply to
Pat

:

Okay. You already know that PVC is commonly used. Your question now is "is it correct?". One answer to that is "Yes, IF your local code permits". The proper answer would be "check with your building inspector for the answer to it". You won't get the "right" answer here. We don't know what your code allows.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Before you drill through any floor joists, better read up on what is allowable before your kitchen winds up in the basement. If a typical well supply pipe is 1" diameter it could require a 1 5/8" hole which could be real problem in the wrong part of a 2 x 8 joist. Plan well and good luck,

Joe

Reply to
Joe