Moving two ceiling lights - insights?

I've got two ceiling lights that did not end up in the ideal locations after a recent renovation. So I'm looking for some ideas to ease the wiring and drywall mess.

The two lights need moved about three feet one way or the other. They will be moving across a couple of joists, not along the joists. There are currently two lights and two switches; I'd like two lights and two 3-way switches. I believe the lights are on the same fuse and power enters the light, not the switch. I have easy access to the basement to run a wire between the two 3-way switches.

I plan to cut two openings in the ceiling extending from the old light to the new location for each light. I don't think it's worth it to cut a smaller hole and dick around with trying to fish the wires. The other issue is that I believe the light boxes have other non light related connections which might complicate the move.

P.S. Asking the Ass Clowns who did the 3 week reno in 3 months to move the lights is NOT an option, before someone suggests it.

Reply to
Bill Stock

"Bill Stock" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

In one place I had an ugly ceiling fan/light in the kitchen. The ceiling was patterened - probably with a crowsfoot. I put in recessed lights. I used the cutout for the recessed light as the drywall piece for the old fan box hole. Carefully doctored imperfections with mud & painters caulk. Ceiling got repainted anyway. Couldn't tell unless you were looking for it.

Basically, I moved the hole :-)

Reply to
Red Green

You can use fan brace boxes, like Westinghouse 1100 to install the outlets in the new locations without opening the sheetrock more than the box hole, but unless you plan to leave blank covers on the original boxes, they'll have to be eliminated. Chances are that the cables won't all reach to the locations of the new outlets, so you may have to start from scratch

Reply to
RBM

Track lights?

Reply to