Moving the Kitchen Sink?

I want to remodel the kitchen in a home I am buying, and I would like to move the sink out of the dark area it is in to a more lighted area on a peninsula. This means it will move about 3 feet away from the wall and be shifted over about one foot.

I suspect that this is a problem. I remember from somewhere that you have to have the trap close to the standing waste pipe. Can I just run a long section over to the wall and put the trap near the wall or do I have to do something else?

Thanks for any help, I can post layouts if needed.

Reply to
Bill DeWitt

Edwin Pawlowski mentioned in passing :

Basement, with fair access to pipes.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the house until next week so I haven't really had the ability to measure and lay out everything. I have about one month between taking possession of the house and having to move in. Both time and money are in a crunch.

No, the kitchen is a mess, I -have- to replace the cabinets before we can move in. The sink is between two smallish windows, and the stove is unpleasantly shoved into a corner (you wouldn't believe it, you have to manhandle the stove out of it's corner to open the oven). To bring the stove out to where it can be used (and the gas company will be willing to hook it up), the sink has to be moved somewhere. So it is either way down the line, turning the kitchen into an inefficient galley, or bring out the sink.

My dishwasher is playing with legos in the other room 8-)

Can I post small images here? If not I have a yahoo photo page somewhere...

Reply to
Bill DeWitt

You're probably thinking of an "Island" counter w/sink. They *do* have very specific venting issues. Go here:

and scroll down to Fig P5.

But if you have a peninsula in which you can run a horiz drain, it may not be so bad. There is a max distance the trap can be from the vertical drain. One Code says 4' 6" for typical 1 1/2" drain. (That will vary depending on the part of the country and the Code they follow.)

But it means that the trap can remain directly under the sink with a long horiz run to the wall.

You will have other issues such as how to provide receptacles on the peninsula and it may be wise to ask the local bldg dep't for all the requirements to be met.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Given enough time and money, most anything can be done. How this is going to work out depends on things we cannot see. What is below the room? Access to the pipes or on a slab? Where is the present vent? Is it easier and more practical to add a window to the present location? Add a light? Where is the dishwasher and can it still be drained if you move the sink?

It may be better to live with the kitchen for a few months and decide what is best. Is the new location practical as far as being is easy reach of other appliances? There is a "magic triangle" between the sink, stove, refrigerator. The move may hinder or improve that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That makes life much easier.

OW, that sound terrible. Make the two small windows into one large one? If that is possible, you won't be sorry for the extra light.

My last house had a galley kitchen. I sure miss all 22 feet of counter space th at wek had and lots of cabinets.

This is a text based newsgroup so the yahoo page would be better. Given the time and money crunch, do what you have to do to make is usable, but plan on a good overhaul down the road. It will be well worth the effort. They have dishwashers now that are mechanical and don't demand nearly the same treatment as the one you have presently. Cheaper in the long run. ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski