Moving switch and receptable boxes

Page 1 of 2
Have switch and receptacle boxes in existing drywall and I would like to move some of them. Due to suspected wire runs it would be necessary to add wire length (Can't rerun entire length) and the normal approach would be to put a blank cover on the existing boxes. Is there any other simple approach where I could splice the wire, plate over the existing box and cover the box with wall board which would meet normal safety and code requirements?
nospamplse wrote:

You can't sheetrock over an electrical box. You can however paint or wallpaper the blank cover to blend in.

Or you can make the splice box an electrical outlet so you can access plus have an extra outlet to use.

If the box is a new work box (e.g. doesn't have tabs over the drywall) you could cut a piece of sheet steel to the size/shape of a blank plate to make it less conspicuous, then paint/wallpaper as suggested above. Other than that, no, not much you can do.
nate

....Is there any other simple approach where I could splice the wire, plate over the existing box and cover the box with wall board which would meet normal safety and code requirements? ............
No. Connections must be "accessible", a box covered by drywall is not.
What you're considering is a bad idea.
Besides being a code violation, it could and probably will cause problems in the future.
cheers Bob

re: "...it could and probably will cause problems in the future.
Please explain the "probably will" portion of this statement.
Any connection, concealed or not *could* cause a problem, but why would a concealed box *probably* cause a problem?

Murphy's Law? Or perhaps because a concealed connection was made by someone without respect or knowledge of the electrical code, and therefore the level of workmanship will be lower, on average?
Cheers, Wayne

re: "...it could and probably will cause problems in the future.
Please explain the "probably will" portion of this statement.
Any connection, concealed or not *could* cause a problem, but why would a concealed box *probably* cause a problem?
Considering that virtually every recessed fixture has a concealed junction box, and I can tell ya, they're not always what I'd call "accessible"

"portable" - open to interpretation - a 24" "portable" TV is portable because it has handles built in, not because you are going to be able to carry it out to the car, or the patio, with ease.

The NEC definition of "accessible" regarding wiring methods, is very specific, however having access to a wiring chamber of some recessed fixtures, and having the ability to reach in and actually make up splices, are two different things

Just my experience......maybe a cosmic application of Murphy's Law or the fact that hacks do "hack-like" work? People who take shortcuts tend to make it a habit, leaving a trail of sloppy work.......nothing terrible / immediately unsafe but less than ideal.
Maybe it wouldn't be against the code if it wasn't a problem of sufficient probability?
I've been tempted a few times to do it myself (owner wants it or it's the expedient solution) but have always resisted the temptation.
YMMV
Please feel free to conceal any connections you might make.
cheers Bob
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:23:42 -0500, nospamplse

Junctions and splices can NOT be concealed. Code requires they be accessible.

If the existing box is fed by Romex (type NM non-metallic sheathed cable), there is actually an alternative. Chapter 334 of the 2008 NEC covers Romex, and section 334.40(B) says:
(B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.
Here is one example of the devices referenced: <http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU238110
Having said this, I would be fairly reluctant to use these and would explore all alternatives first. I would also recommend against their installation by a novice electrician. Perhaps a good professional electrician could refish the wire feeding the current location.
Cheers, Wayne
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:14:41 GMT, Wayne Whitney

able to get it past an electrical inspector in Ontario (unless he didn't see it - and a few of them DO appear to be blind sometimes)

Well, these devices are NEC compliant, so it should pass, although the inspector may need to be directed to the above code reference, as they are not so common. I don't know if they the CEC has an equivalent section.
Cheers, Wayne

I use to see those type of connectors used in prefab housing, where boxes were joined together. I can't tell you what a crappy connection they make. Personally I'd rather bury a junction box then trust those, legal or not

Hmm, I think the NEC provision that allows them to be concealed in normal residential remodel work is a fairly recent change. Is it possible they have improved? Just curious, I have no reason to use them myself.
Cheers, Wayne

Sure it's possible. I'd like to see one in the flesh
| I use to see those type of connectors used in prefab housing, where boxes | were joined together. I can't tell you what a crappy connection they make. | Personally I'd rather bury a junction box then trust those, legal or not
The current run of This Old House involves a (very high end) prefab and they showed those connectors. I have the same question I had years ago. If it is safe and legal to use one of those connectors by itself, can I put one inside a metal junction box and hide the whole thing?

They remind me of the "vampire clips" sometimes used in automobiles and trailers to tap into the wiring harness.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103312
Never liked 'em 'cuz they typically work after installation but always seem to fail in some manner later on - loose connection, rust, etc. I'm surprised to see a NEC approved version.
I wonder how long it will be before failures start and they remove them from the code.