Moving lock bolt receptor

Have a simple bolt lock on the front porch that doesn't line up properly with it's receptor. It's about 1/8" off. The bolt slides shut if I lift the door slightly. I need to take out the two screws (that hold the receptor) and move them down so the bolt receptor will accept the bolt. I'm pretty sure the move is slight enough that the new holes will overlap the previous holes and might make for a loose fit. I was thinking that I could fill the holes with saw dust, pack it in and move the screws. However, I have some plastic wood (never used it). Could I use that to fill the holes, then re-install the screws? Or, am I better off with saw dust? Or, some other solution?

Reply to
Charlie S.

First, find out why it does not line up. Could be all you have to do is tighten the screws on the hinges of a sagging door. That cures the problem rather than putting on a band-aid fix.

If it does have to be moved, the wood filler idea will work, but sometimes it is a real PITA getting it to hold when you put in the new screws. Consider elongating the holes in the receptor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You're right, the hinges need to be tightened (setting up another problem). These are old screws with old paint caked up on them. I'll need to take them out and put in longer screws. I was thinking of using a utility knife to loosen the paint and then taking the screw out. Would it be a good idea to use the plastic wood to fill in the old hinge holes and then put in new screws?

Reply to
Charlie S.

You're right, the hinges need to be tightened (setting up another problem). These are old screws with old paint caked up on them. I'll need to take them out and put in longer screws. I was thinking of using a utility knife to loosen the paint and then taking the screw out. Would it be a good idea to use the plastic wood to fill in the old hinge holes and then put in new screws? Since it might be a PITA to get the screw started, might it be a good idea to pre-drill a small hole.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Reply to
nospambob

The only thing I'd ad to dadiOH is that you add a little water proof glue to the toothpicks (the flat ones) and pack the hole on the side opposite the direction that you want the screw to go. Titebond makes a nice glue.

Reply to
C & M

Specifically, the top ones. _______________

Plastic "wood" isn't much good for anything. Use real wood (toothpicks).

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

If it's only off 1/8" and the hinges or their fasteners show no signs of looseness, then it could just be caused by slight settling of the house, with the door frame going just a little bit out of kilter.

If that's the case, you could probably just remove the "receptor", and file the opening larger enough to accept the current location of the bolt. You might have to chisel a little bit of wood out of the jamb too, but there's usually plenty of room to spare between the bolt hole and the screw locations.

I've had to do that on more than one door in our home where settling took its toll over the 20 years since the place was built for us.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
nospambob

Where would one find bamboo skewers? Home Depot? Wal-Mart?

Reply to
Charlie S.

Reply to
nospambob