moving garage door to different wall

Hi all:
Our driveway is in need of complete replacement and as part of our discussions we are considering moving the driveway entirely to possible free up room for a later addition to the house. This would involve keeping the same garage, but having the cars enter the garage from what is now one of the "sides" of the garage. So basically it would mean moving the garage door to an adjacent (perpendicular) wall from where it is now, and then pouring a new driveway to a new opening. I assume this can be accomplished by framing a brand new opening on the side of the garage and just closing the existing hole up. Are there any major issues I am not aware of with this? The only thing I can possibly see is that the garage floor, which is now sloped towards the existing opening for drainage, wouldn't be sloped correctly for drainage anymore. Is this a code issue? Because if not I don't think this is something that would cause me great concern (the house itself is up a foot from the base of the garage, so it'd be protected from any major water issues.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

The wall that you are going to move it to is going to be a load bearing wall. Any time you put a hole that big in a load bearing wall there is going to be issues. At one time I wanted to do that to my present home until I found out how major a job that would be. I also found that my garage formed a big box that pretty much kept my house from collapsing and that any messing about with it could be dangerous. Vaulted greatroom and master bedroom get lateral support from the garage on one side and two unvaulted bedrooms on the other side. Per this example you can see that your problem may be much more complex than you realize.
Jimmie
Actor123 wrote:

Anything is posible if cost is not an isue. First think load bearing wall. Do you have to deal with it?

Yeah, it is going to take a pretty big header if there is anything above the wall where the new opening is going to be.

Are the roof trusses/joists sitting on that side wall? I'd guess that a hefty I-beam spanning the proposed opening would take care of that. Best to consult a professional.

No, the slope is not code. You can move the door to any exterior wall. It's not that big a deal but you may have to frame a temporary wall a foot or so inside the new location to hold up the roof while you get the header in. I'd use a floor jack to preload it a bit.

No, the slope is not code. You can move the door to any exterior wall. It's not that big a deal but you may have to frame a temporary wall a foot or so inside the new location to hold up the roof while you get the header in. I'd use a floor jack to preload it a bit.
I agree with the last poster here... Just frame in your old garage door before taking out your load bearing wall and use something to support it while you put in a header... I have a garage which this exact thing was done. The door used to open to an alley way away from the house....Freaking garage got broke into more times than anything....then moved the garage door perpedicular to where it was before and solved the problem of break ins... Only real issue when I cut the new door was rerouting electricial lines....Jim

Doesn't sound like a problem if done correctly. Unless you are experienced in construction and know how to figure header sizes, don't try it without professional advice. At a minimum get a couple bids from contractors even if you don't plan to use one - they will probably give good advice.
It will probably require a building permit.
Harry K
replying to Harry K, HN~ wrote: So, did you end up doing the job? How was it? I know it was years ago but interested to hear how it went because we are conducting the same thing.
replying to HN~, Liz S-Z wrote: I'd love to know, too. We want to move our garage entrance from the back to the front and pour a circle drive, then enclose tge carport over the current rear garage door and create a mud/laundry room.