moving existing stove vent

We just bought an above range venting microwave...we had to buy a new cabinet for above the stove so it would fit. Our problem now is that we need to move the vent opening higher...how do we do this?? Is there some type of tubeing available so we can use the existing hole...I don't want to put another hole on the out side of my house!!

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 338631 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
daleys2001

It is doable, but you are going to have to be a little creative and do some demo.

First off, mark off where the new vent has to be cut. There should be a paper template that came with the microwave that tells you exactly where the vent needs to be.

Now, cut out the opening of the new vent and carry that line down to where the existing outside vent is. When you are done, you should have an opening 10" wide from the top of the new vent to the bottom of the old vent. Don't worry about closing the hole, you just put a piece of sheetrock or plywood, its getting covered anyway by the microwave.

Go to Lowes or HD and get yourself 2 pieces 3 1/4" X 10" 90 "short" elbows. They must be short elbows to make the tight turn inside the wall. And get a piece of 3 1/4" X 10" rect duct. Run the duct from the old outside vent, up the wall, then turn out to the microwave. Do not use the damper on the back of the microwave. Remove the flapper, just keep the flange, or else when it opens it blocks the duct opening in the short elbow. If your outside vent has a damper, thats all you need. Here is some pics when I renovated my kitchen. Although I vented through the roof, you can see the idea of using the short elbow and the rect duct inside the wall.

Mikepier

daleys2001 had written this in response to

: Thank you!!! Your link for the picture did not work...could you maybe try again :-)

------------------------------------- Mikepier wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 338680 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
daleys2001

:

It worked for me......

Reply to
benick

01)

Do you have something blocked on your computer preventing you from seeing the pics? Otherwise here is a pic of the elbow ( remember get a short elbow)

and here is a image of rect duct ( you would have to cut it to size with tin snips)

Mikepier