Moving baseboard plumbing

Hello fellow DIYers

I've just brought my first home, and have many extension plans for it, which I hope to do all myself.

My first project is to install some patio doors in our living room and build a new deck. The problem I have is that in our living room we have baseboard heating (along the wall into which I want to install the patio doors) and finished hardwood floors. The basement is also finished so I have no direct access to the plumbing from below either.

Does anyone have any tips on how I might remove the baseboard and re-lay the plumbing under the living room floor WITHOUT taking the hardwood floor up or pulling down the ceiling in the basement? If some pulling up of flooring, or pulling down of ceiling, is inevitable please offer any tips on how to minimise the damage/effort.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Richardson

Kurt:

You wanna remove the heat from a wall to install great big leaky patio doors and not replace the heat with another source of heat?

Am I correct?

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

I hope you're not planning too many additions which require no work or disruption to the existing home like you do in this case.

You'll need to remove some ceiling in the basement to re-fit the plumbing. You might want to look into replacing the baseboard you remove with in-floor register or radient heat.

In any event, get used to cutting and restoring sheetrock, especially if any of these future planned additions branch off the finished portion of the basement.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Hey Vic, I'll be in Lancaster the 16th of April. I'm taking a tour of the Burnham plant. Is there anything else in Lancaster?

Reply to
HeatMan

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the case... :-(

And thanks for the recommendation concerning repacement heating...

Bye for now, Kurt

PS I had written a much more involved response. but lost the email - how I hate it when that happens...

Reply to
Kurt Richardson

Well, the bad news is you'll probably need to cut into the ceiling below to get at the plumbing.

But the good news is, you'll soon become an expert with sheetrock repairs, and once you're there, you'll be freed from unwarranted concern about hacking into walls or ceilings as you continue to expand your empire.

The only skill more liberating for the DIY person (in my view, anyway) is the ability to solder copper pipe. Go for it!

John

Reply to
John Gold