Moving a [possibly bearing] knee wall.. little help here..

Page 2 of 2
Thanks everyone for the great responses. They've honestly been a ton of help in sorting out what I plan to do. I was skeptical of this roof system before and y'all have confirmed that I should just leave well enough alone. Instead, the plan has now changed to building the entire closet within the room and not utilizing any of the space behind the knee wall. Not as efficient. The room won't be as open. It won't look NEARLY as good. But there will be much less of a chance for something going terribly wrong, which counts for a lot.
Just to add to the continued discussion.. this house is located in the upper Midwest, was built in 1941, and the 2X4" studs/rafters are rock solid (dense).