Moving a gas dryer about 20 feet

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the flexible part is allowed to be?
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

Can you use 6" PVC? The smooth innards will present less resistance to the fuzz.

Are you talking gas supply line or exhaust line? Not sure of what code is-- but I don't think I'd want 20' of flimsy flex tubing for a gas line in the house where my wife and kids slept....

thats about right.... you can extend the vent if you want 20 feet by upsizing it an inch or so... the gas line needs to be schedule 40 steel, secured to the wall, last 20 inches or so can be flex.
Phil scott

.
longer exhaust line equals longer drying time even with upsized line, plus larger linew may accumulate more lint, requiring more frequent disassembly and cleaning.
so you will be using more energy, spending more money, and have a new job.
worse theres a max length for exhaust lines whats the current length?
Bad post on my part! I meant the gas line. (The exhaust is getting cut by two thirds.)
Thanks!
I think if you go to a real plumbing supply house, they will have flexible gas supply lines for what you want to do. It's not the same type of flimsy brass-colored ridged flexible gas line that you might have now for the last couple of feet that connects to the dryer. It's a bright yellow plastic-covered flexible gas supply line. When I had a new gas heater put in, that's what they used as the supply line and mine is about 15 feet long. A plumber recently told me that's pretty much all they use these days -- not lengths of rigid threaded pipe sections like I was always used to seeing for gas supply lines.

manufacturer who makes one that long. You will need to extend the gas line in whatever kind of pipe it presently is or whatever kind is required for the area it is running thru. You will most likely need black iron pipe, especially if it runs thru an area where it might be damaged. Your local gas company has the best advice. Don't install it in any way that they do not approve of and you will be fine.
Don Young
The gas company even uses flexible gas lines underground for some installations. I remember seeing them use some sort of ditch-witch device that pulled flexible gas lines underground when they were running gas lines from building to building on a 5 acre site where I worked.
I just did a Google search for "flexible gas pipe" (without the quotes) and a lot of info comes up. The first item that came up when I did this search was http://www.askthebuilder.com/296_Flexible_Gas_Lines-_Are_You_Serious_.shtml , and there were many more.

ideinc...
thats cross linked polymer material, very heavy, tough and expensive..used because it wont corrode, crack or break ...and it bends...its a fast install..... but it has to be underground. Not suitable above ground because it melts in a fire.
Phil scott
thats cross linked polymer material, very heavy, tough and expensive..used because it wont corrode, crack or break ...and it bends...its a fast install..... but it has to be underground. Not suitable above ground because it melts in a fire. ------------------------
Thanks. I guess that's what they used in the underground installation that I saw.
But, I have a 15-foot (+/-) bright yellow "plastic?" flexible gas supply line in the basement of a property I own. It was installed a few years ago when I had a new gas boiler/heater installed to replace the oil-fired boiler for the cast iron radiator heating system in the home. So, I know these exist, and I know they are code compliant. Some of the links I found when I did the Google search seemed to show the same type of bright yellow flexible gas supply lines for in-home use.

I have one such line in the basement too. Professional installation is probably required (local plumbers in my case) due to the fittings at either end, I'm guessing. Made short work of extending the gas line 10 feet as it easily goes over & under things that are always in the way.
So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST? I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender is called, I think...
Many thanks in advance!
Aaron

i think the flexible line is only sold to professional plumbers, sorry

Where do they get it?
Aaron Fude wrote:

At real supply houses. Big box just has a sample of common stuff and are more trouble than they are worth.
After taking the certification course and getting the card, they purchase at plumbing wholesale houses. Which said wholesale houses sell only to plumbers with certifcation cards.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ive got the appropriate lilcenses and have not seen any in the local plumbing and piping wholesale houses, nor have I ever seen one on a job site in California at least...and thats in over 40 years experience.
Phil scott
I've seen ads for the flex gas line. You need to be in a trade, and take the certification course in order to purchase it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus