move a 240 volt outlet?

I need to extend a 240 volt outlet about 9 feet. Can I replace the outlet with a junction box and run a 9 foot cable with a new outlet to the new location. Or would I need to run the circuit straight from the panel with no junction box?
If the latter is true, I'll probably have to hire someone to do it for me
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

With few exceptions (swimming pool or spa?) it's no different than extending an equivalent 120V circuit.
Bob

What else is on the circuit? If not overloaded you could just add another 240 outlet from the existing box.
You do have to wire it properly, using conduit or protecting the wiring, etc.

depends on the application your trying to serve.
As long as the junction box is accessible you might be able to do what you describe. Cables must be protected from damage, unless your buying armored cable. Some how I doubt that your getting 9 feet of armored cable. Best to check locally
What kind of 240v? Any that meet current code can be extended using the junction box. 3wire dry lines cannot be extended because they do not meet current code.

By "3wire dry lines", I assume you mean "3wire clothes dryer circuits" (and by extension "3wire stove circuits"). Otherwise, we'd think you were referring to them in contrast with "wet lines" ;-)
You're right, because current code requires new work for stoves and dryers to be 4wire.
But a "pure 240V" circuit (like a 240V baseboard heater) is _supposed_ to be 3 wire, and it's perfectly legal to extend. As long as you extend it legally ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est