mouse update

Still haven't found that glue trap, but there was a lot of activity at the poison box yesterday - plastic box they can get in and out of with a cake of poison which supposedly makes them thirsty and go out in search of water and die off the premisis.

Anyone know how long it takes for that poison to croak them? First activity I noticed there was around 3pm, then again around 8:30pm, and again 2-3 hours after that. All three times, the mouse stayed in there for a number of minutes, making quite a racket gnawing on the yummy poison cake. The mister checked it this morning and said a good portion of it was indeed gone. Can they build up an immunity to the Iocaine powder, necessitating a change of poisons after a period of time?

So based on the time intervals, do you all think we had three mice, who are hopefully now ceasing and desisting somewheres else? Should we take up the poison box, or what? Leave it out - will it attract someone who otherwise would not have come in? I looked at those Tin Cat things and they look good, I'll get a couple of those and leave them out regularly in the pantry/laundry and kitchen, with or without bait or poison I'll leave up to the mister's discretion. Just wondering what to do in the interval until I get the Tin Cats.

Stupid real cat remains clueless and useless. I felt bad that we are planning to get a dog and was having second thoughts, but nevermind.

As far as the discussion on humane treatment goes... FWIW, we are vegetarian, but when it comes to filthy vermin invading my home where my children sleep and eat, fuhgeddaboudit. I'll leave them alone outside, in their homes, as it were. But when they come in my home, uh-uh.

Thanks again for info, advice, support, etc. First time I've ever dealt with a rodent situation, and we've got a houseguest arriving at the end of the week!

-Karen-

Reply to
dkhedmo

Completely OT, but if I may warn you regarding vegetarianism....

Adam & Eve were vegetarians; it was only Noah and his decendants that were meat-eaters.

Now Adam and Eve started out in trouble. By the time humanity got to Noah, the world was so hoplessly depraved, wicked, and corrupt that God had to destroy it and start over.

I don't know that there's a connection between vegetables and depravity, but are you willing to take the chance?

Remember, vegetables are not food; vegetables are what food eats.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's the biggest myth/falsehood in the rodent elimination industry. Google it and you'll find out it's total crap.

Mice don't drink water -- they get all the hydration they need via the food they eat. They don't "die off the premisis because they're looking for water". They die in your walls, under your bed, anywhere else inconvenient, and they stink to high heaven. The people who sell poison don't want to tell you that, so they promote the rumor you mentioned.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

By the way, don't take my word for it. Here's some sources:

Google for more...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

worse a half or all dead mouse might get eaten by a cat or dog and make them really ill or kill them too.

people just want the easy way out, your likely to be opening walls to find odor causes.........

Reply to
hallerb

In article , snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net says... :) Still haven't found that glue trap, but there was a lot of activity at :) the poison box yesterday - plastic box they can get in and out of with a :) cake of poison which supposedly makes them thirsty and go out in search :) of water and die off the premisis.

The "makes em thirsty" is an old exterminators tale. The vast majority of the bait a home owner will buy will be an anti-coagulant. The reason rodents find their way outside is when an animal starts to get sick it usually finds it's way back to the nest. With rats, they for the most part are living outside, up to 100 yards away and are coming inside exploring part of their territory. With mice, they can live their lives in a 10'x10' area, so when they try to make it back home, it probably is inside your home, thus more of a chance for dying inside a wall. :) Anyone know how long it takes for that poison to croak them? First :) activity I noticed there was around 3pm, then again around 8:30pm, and :) again 2-3 hours after that. All three times, the mouse stayed in there :) for a number of minutes, making quite a racket gnawing on the yummy :) poison cake. The mister checked it this morning and said a good portion :) of it was indeed gone. Can they build up an immunity to the Iocaine :) powder, necessitating a change of poisons after a period of time? The anti-coagulants usually take 4-7 days, depending on what you are using some are lethal on one feeding others are a multi feed product.

:) So based on the time intervals, do you all think we had three mice, who :) are hopefully now ceasing and desisting somewheres else? Should we take :) up the poison box, or what? Leave it out - will it attract someone who :) otherwise would not have come in? I looked at those Tin Cat things and :) they look good, I'll get a couple of those and leave them out regularly :) in the pantry/laundry and kitchen, with or without bait or poison I'll :) leave up to the mister's discretion. Just wondering what to do in the :) interval until I get the Tin Cats. If they are eating the bait I would keep replacing it until activity has stopped. You probably won't need to leave it out all the time. Roaches will eat it (not kill them) and if there are pieces of grain in the bait it can attract stored product pests. (moths, weevils) :) As far as the discussion on humane treatment goes... FWIW, we are :) vegetarian, but when it comes to filthy vermin invading my home where my :) children sleep and eat, fuhgeddaboudit. I'll leave them alone outside, :) in their homes, as it were. But when they come in my home, uh-uh. I have been told by people in the making of such baits that rodents have been hooked up to monitors and showed no sign of stress to death. The anti coagulant is as probably humane as anything else...they basically just go to sleep..the animals are not in torturous pain.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) worse a half or all dead mouse might get eaten by a cat or dog and make :) them really ill or kill them too. :) :) people just want the easy way out, your likely to be opening walls to :) find odor causes......... :) :) With anti coagulant baits a ten pound animal would have to eat between

22-44 mice that had just finished stuffing themselves on the bait before treatment with a vet is considered advisable.
Reply to
Lar

to death. The

Honestly I nearly bleed to death once and it was painful, it was a VERY close thing.....

Reply to
hallerb

to death. The

Honestly I nearly bleed to death once and it was painful, it was a VERY close thing.....

Reply to
hallerb

to death. The

Honestly I nearly bleed to death once and it was painful, it was a VERY close thing.....

Reply to
hallerb

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) Honestly I nearly bleed to death once and it was painful, it was a VERY :) close thing..... :) :) Was your internal bleeding due to hemorrhaging from trauma, or extreme thinning where the capillaries could not contain the blood?

Reply to
Lar

I don't know enough about this stuff to attempt to question what you're saying, but I will say that 3 or 4 days after my then-girlfriend (now wife) had an exterminator put out the "dehydration tablets" she found the mouse dead in her toilet.

Let me tell you, that was not the kind of call that you like to get early on a Friday morning when you're 2 hours away and she only has one toilet in her house. :-)

-Nathan

Reply to
nhurst

We were doing some electrical work at my cabin recently. We pulled out the fridge and the stove, and there was a dead mouse behind both. They had been dead quite a while, but, YES, when animals are poisoned, they will go off and die God knows where.

I think they seek the feeling of safety and security in the cover they were using, and head back under the fridge. Or stove. Or back into the wall.

Poison?

No way, Ray.

Tin Cats are the way to go.

Steve

Reply to
Frank

Actually a little of both. I had taken too much aspirin for way too long:( This thinned my blood and I hemoraged interally out my backside from Divertelocsis. However thats spelled:( my intesines leaked blood big time

I lost 13 pints of blood normal body has about 8 pints. It was painful.

I couldnt do that to any living thing!

espically since other completely humane solutions are available and less risky, without fear for kids and pets...........

Reply to
hallerb