Mouse-proofing a house

My wife goes ballistic when she sees a mouse in our home. We live in a rural area in Washington where there are a lot of field mice who occasionally come into the house. I have mouse traps, which catches them after they come in. But by then, the damage (to my wife) has often been done. Is there a way to keep them from entering in the first place? If not, I guess I'll just have to replace my wife. :-)

Reply to
tenplay

Trust me, hire a professional. My first house had rats in the crawl space. My second house got squirrels in the attic (the squirrels ate their way in). I learned from research mice can go through a hole as small as a dime.

Reply to
nielloeb

More bang for the back...

Reply to
G Henslee

More bang for the buck.

Reply to
G Henslee

Swap the wife for a cat. Cheaper to feed.

....Or keep the wife too. Your choice, but think about it ;)

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mail.com says... :) My wife goes ballistic when she sees a mouse in our home. We live in a :) rural area in Washington where there are a lot of field mice who :) occasionally come into the house. I have mouse traps, which catches :) them after they come in. But by then, the damage (to my wife) has often :) been done. Is there a way to keep them from entering in the first :) place? If not, I guess I'll just have to replace my wife. :-) :) As another mentioned, you can't keep them out if they want to get in. Caulk/seal the obvious openings, even the ones well above your head. Mice have a small range so keeping any debris/tall grass well away from the home can help.

Reply to
Lar

Get a kitten. Play with it like crazy so it doesn't grow up to be a lazy fat slob that sits on the window sill all day. It'll get bored with fake mouse-shaped toys and start managing your problem for you, if you let it outdoors. And, if you see skunks, give them a big welcome. They are better than cats at assassinating mice.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

And if I had to guess.... more pussy.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

No house is mouse proof.

If you contact a professional you are likely to get a plan for your home in your area that will greatly reduce the number that make it in.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Amen, Maria. My poor sister who is deathly afraid of mice was awoken the other night by her cat playing ping pong with a live mouse. She still hasn't recovered from the trauma.

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

Get her some friggin therapy!

Reply to
SteveB

tenplay wrote in news:6q2dnVlVJpIaVoDeRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I am so creeped out. I trapped one the other night. I think it squeezed in between the sliding screen and the sliding door. The opening is very small but I see evidence where the thing pushed it's way thru. You wife should be happy you take care of the clean up. I'm by myself. I know how sickening it is. ewwwwwww !

Reply to
Marina

Get a cat or two. Preforably a former feral or indoor/outdoor cat. I normally don't recommend letting cats outdoors, but since you live in a rural area it might be OK. My cat was a stray that lived with a feral cat colony for several months. He's the best pest control that I could possibly have.

Reply to
scott21230

I wish I remembered the comedian who dealt with this issue, saying something like "How many millions of dollars are wasted in therapy each year by middle aged people trying to deal with the trauma they experienced when, at age 9, they were briefly stuck in a closet with a bee?" :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter