Mouse, maybe mice

Page 2 of 2
As for the sticky pads, they're humane if you don't kill the mouse. Just drive out to your local zoo parking lot and drop the mouse off there. It'll find plenty to eat and a warm place to stay at a zoo.
--
nestork

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 8:17:12 PM UTC-8, nestork wrote:

??? I assume that is a joke but if not:
How do you get the mouse off the sticky pad? Once on there they are there for good.
Harry K

,

I found a part of a Herseys Kiss works beter than cheese on the old spring traps..
On 11/22/14, 5:28 PM, Julie Nilsen wrote:

These things shouldn't be rushed. You have to develop a relationship.
My computer is beside the kitchen door. A few years ago, I often heard noises in the kitchen as I sat reading informative message at alt.home.repair. I thought it was just a harmless ghost and didn't give it a second thought.
One evening I walked in and saw a mouse munching on my fresh-baked rolls, on the counter by the stove. He dived under a burner and peeked out with a patient expression. I was embarrassed. I should have knocked.
I put a little peanut butter on the tongue of a trap and set it by the burner. It snapped before I had time to read another message at alt.home.repair. The trap was upside down. The mouse was peeking patiently from the burner. I couldn't expect my little guest to reset the trap. I did it for him and returned to the internet.
Just as I was sitting down, it snapped again. This time the bail was on the mouse's neck, and he was disconcerted. I felt bad about violating his trust that way.
I'm sure you leave cookies and milk for Santa on Christmas Eve, and that's why he's learned to trust you not to put a bear trap in the fireplace. You need to set out fresh-baked rolls for your mouse each evening. Then, if you still want to harm him, he won't hesitate to take whatever bait you offer.
My neighbor had an exterminator and set a lot of spring traps, poison stations, and glue sticks herself, but she had a chronic mouse problem until the day she phoned to ask me to kill a rat snake. I persuaded her to leave it alone, as I do. Suddenly, no more mice.
On 11/22/2014 5:28 PM, Julie Nilsen wrote:

Every possible entryway (and exit)? Doubtful...the can squeeze through teeny-tiny cracks. They come in when it is cold and they stay where it is warm! Nothing better than flour sacks, boxes of cereal and DOG KIBBLES! Crumbs......or a whole bowl....of dog kibbles are an invitation to a mouse feast! Clean, vacuum and sterilize the kitchen. Got a box or two of old clothes in the garage? A perfect mouse nursery! Put cereal, nuts, etc., in hard containers. Same with stored clothes. Then put traps with a dab of peanut butter behind the stove and the fridge or other warm, cozy places.
On 11/22/2014 5:28 PM, Julie Nilsen wrote:

I like the Victor mouse trap that looks like it has a piece of Swiss cheese for the trap lever. Very sensitive to trip. I use peanut butter and smear it into the holes.
There are traps that aren't worth a damn. Mice can nibble away the bait without tripping them. Also don't like glue boards. Have not been able to catch many mice with them and it is torturous to the mouse. Caught one that had nearly chewed off his leg to escape.
| I don't think these are coming and going and maybe they are panicking, but not to the point of taking the bait from the traps. |
What made me think of that is an experience I had a couple of years ago. I was staying in a log cabin and was asked to deal with the mice problem. Field mice had been in the cabin for years. I figured out they were coming in around the window trim and nesting in the fiberglass between the windows and wall. I took off the trim, in and out, and tacked up metal lathe behind it. Until I started patching holes the mice were a bit noisy at night but left me alone. After I started patching they took action by doing things like running across my head while I was in bed. So I had to start chasing them down in the middle of the night with gloves and a flashlight so that I could sleep. In all I caught 8 mice, but I think there were only 3 altogether. My first holding pen had gaps big enough for them to escape from. :)
By the time all holes in the cabin were patched the one mouse that was trapped inside at that point came out in daylight and didn't fight very hard to avoid capture. I ended up transporting them miles away. Mice haven't been back since.
If they were trapped inside I expect you'd either see them, as I did, or you'd soon smell them because they'd starve. It's said that field mice can get through a 1/4" gap, so in a typical house it's not entirely possible to block them out.
I now seem to have a vole or small rat living in my cellar workshop. It comes through gaps in the foundation wall. (1835 house.) So far it doesn't bother me and I've blocked its way to the upstairs, so hopefully we have a workable truce.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:28:26 PM UTC-8, Julie Nilsen wrote:

be two of them, but my dh and daughter have done everything possible (it's her house) other than call in the professionals. Right now they have more than a dozen traps set up around the area where she has seen them. The fire place is blocked off because she saw one run in there. My dh has blocked ev ery possible entryway into the house so this one or two have been there for awhile.

on and she has a dog that stays home alone for a few hours every day.

1. If you see one mouse, you have way more than that.
2. D-Con poison packets. They are easy to place where pets cannot get at t hem and mice that die from it do not have that evil smell. At most a minor musty smell.
I fought the good fight for years in this old house after I bought it. I n ow keep D-con packs spread around and replace them whenever I find one empt y. House seems to be mouse free now as my current packs have been in place for a long time...except for the back porch. They come in there and the b ait disappears, rarely do I find a dead mouse though.
After finding mouse chewed stuff in my engine compartment, I now keep packs of d-con in the engine compartment of all rigs, in the trunk of the car an d under the driver seats. Much cheaper than replacing wiring.
Harry K
Harry K

Every bit of this would make a great Tom & Jerry cartoon.
Part reminds me of the night in a foreign country when I felt a large water walk over me. Ugh. (This is the only place I've ever been where I saw the water bugs walking along the street in daylight.) It was a metal frame with expanded metal sheet in the middle, and welded to metal legs. With a mattress on top, but the bed was easy to twist. I had the foot end resting on top of a two-foot wide dresser, laid on its side, because the doctor told me to sleep with my recently broken leg elevated until the swelling went down.
When I felt the bug, I squirmed so much the whole bed contraption fell over, but slowly and I was't hurt. I turned on the light and hunted for the bug. It took five minutes or more but I killed it. I must have stayed there a second night, but nothing went wrong that night.

Skip the cartoon. I think this coudl be a full length movie.

I've had mice die in my house, because of the poison I left I guess, and they just dried out, with no smell that my poor nose could detect. Even though every I walked quite near the dead mouse.

A movie, for sure.
Julie Nilsen wrote:

Well, our cat Darwin used to catch mice for us himself, but when he got older he was to lazy to do it and started using Victor traps like these:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/catmouse1.jpg
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia