Mouse, maybe mice

Page 1 of 2
Is this on topic for this group? If not, please ignore.
How do you catch a mouse that simply will not be caught? Okay, there may be two of them, but my dh and daughter have done everything possible (it's he r house) other than call in the professionals. Right now they have more th an a dozen traps set up around the area where she has seen them. The firepl ace is blocked off because she saw one run in there. My dh has blocked ever y possible entryway into the house so this one or two have been there for a while. She is reluctant to call exterminators because of the possibility of poison and she has a dog that stays home alone for a few hours every day.
What to do? Any suggestions?
On 11/22/2014 5:28 PM, Julie Nilsen wrote:

Sticky traps, cat. Not at the same time. DAGS.
Here is yet another post needing carriage returns, but might be my program, who knows?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/22/14, 5:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I can't remember if Thunderbird is your favorite newsreader or your favorite wine. If it's your newsreader, hit Rewrap under Edit.
On 11/22/2014 11:51 PM, J Burns wrote:

I'm not able to find either edit, or rewrap.
On 11/23/14, 7:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sounds like your Menu Bar is missing. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_windows_layout_not_working
On 11/23/2014 1:31 PM, J Burns wrote:

I didn't find rewrap, but I did find next unread.
Thanks for the tip.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/24/14, 3:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you have an edit menu, rewrap should be available when you are composing a reply.
I think that if you'd really blocked all entrances the mice would be coming out. They tend to go outside during the day, so if they were trapped inside they'd be panicking. But it's not easy to block all of them, especially in an old house that has a stone foundation. The only good solution I know of is to borrow a cat. The sticky panels might work, though personally I don't have the heart to make them suffer such a cruel death.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:41:43 PM UTC-8, Mayayana wrote:

Yeah, my dh doesn't either, but I don't think he would let them suffer. I'm thinking that may be better than a cat.
I don't think these are coming and going and maybe they are panicking, but not to the point of taking the bait from the traps.
Thanks for your feedback.
Nellie
On 11/22/2014 04:28 PM, Julie Nilsen wrote:

Years ago I had an elderly cat who had lost his fangs and there was a hole near the back porch and a lot of mice go in.
I used those regular wooden traps and I guess mice have now evolved beyond that as they did not catch a single one.
I ended up getting the newer plastic variety like this
http://www.victorpest.com/resource/images/havahart/products/large/B130-2_1.jpg
That did the trick.
Mice gone Hole sealed Two new cats with fangs and claws.

Old-fashioned Victor mouse trap, the spring type. Bait it with a raisin smashed down on the trigger.
Doug Miller wrote:

Hi, It always does the job but after few use they don't come near it, I guess they smell dead comrades. Bait is piece of cheese. After few use I throw them out. They cost few bucks for s package of two. Sticky pad works but I don't like it. I have few of them in the yard but need to control the population.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:18:25 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

I've reused traps with blood on them...they still "took" the bait!
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:43:29 -0500, "Mayayana"

Just kill them after you get them stuck. A load of rat shot from a .22 will work if just covering the trap with a few layers of newspaper and stepping on it is too graphic for you.

Take em out to a parking lot, soak in gasoline, and light em off?
Julie Nilsen wrote:

snap trap, put a little peanut butter on top of the trip pan, and put even more on the bottom so that the mouse has to work for it.
place the traps along walls where you've seen them running. keep the dog away.
songbird

Those poor mice. Perhaps TFPM would help. (Tranquilizers For Panicking Mice.)

Yeah, it was bad enough to see roaches stuck in them. Mice is worse.

I've seen those and figured they wouldn't work.

How about that.

On 11/22/2014 08:43 PM, micky wrote:

I had to try something different and am glad to say it worked.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:28:26 PM UTC-6, Julie Nilsen wrote:

be two of them, but my dh and daughter have done everything possible (it's her house) other than call in the professionals. Right now they have more than a dozen traps set up around the area where she has seen them. The fire place is blocked off because she saw one run in there. My dh has blocked ev ery possible entryway into the house so this one or two have been there for awhile.

If you have Victor wooden traps...melt a semi-sweet chocolate chip into the metal trip lever. They can't resist it!