Mouse behind the wall --what to do?

I think I have a mouse in the house. I havre put out some traps, but haven't caught anything. The other night I heard some scratching or chewing in the wall behind the sheetrock. I was wondering if those ultrasound pest control things that the mousetrap companies are any good. The ones that operate at high sound frequency. What other way is there to get rid of a mouse that may be behind the wall? Thanks.
GS
GarySport wrote:

The sound things are only good for making money for the people selling them.
For traps you really need to know where they are moving and have the traps there. They must have access to food and water, they can't live just in the walls.
Personally I have had good luck with glue traps. A little peanut butter often works for bait. Depending on your situation (kids animals etc.) poison bait can be effective.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
GarySport wrote:

Put traps with peanut butter around where he might come out from the wall. Found mouse droppings anywhere? They often come indoors when the weather turns cold, and kitchen cupboards or pet food bowls are nice, easy meals. We had a mouse that stored some Dog Chow in the burner of the clothes dryer - fire department found it :o)
<< What other way is there to get rid of a mouse that may be behind the wall? >>
There are two very effective rodent eliminators: D-con, and female cats. Male felines will sometimes eliminate a mouse but females are genetically programmed hunters. HTH
Joe
Are you sure it's a mouse? Other than the sounds, have you seen droppings around? It could be carpenter ants. I don't know how active they may be this time of year in your area, but if you have an infestation, they will make enough noise for you to hear them.

haven't
the
control
high
be
the guy w/ peanut butter tip is on the money, every year during winter i go to war w/ the little bastards. two more tips.. use a chunky style pb w/ peanuts and when you put it on the trap chove it under the little part that loops over. otherwise they will get the pb off w/ out setting off trap. . If you can put 1-2 traps in attic over area you here them you may get lucky, or try 1-2 by a plumbig fixture close by. like under sink cabinet where drain breaks through walll.

Just don't let them die in the wall....I had to quarantine my office because one died in the wall and stunk up the entire room for 2 months. It was disgusting. It was hard to believe something so small could smell so much.
You needed a bluebottle fly.

because
much.
:) Just don't let them die in the wall....I had to quarantine my office because :) one died in the wall and stunk up the entire room for 2 months. It was :) disgusting. It was hard to believe something so small could smell so much.
Probably something more than a mouse. Usually lasts 10 days or so.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
A mouse is a mouse you know A mouse in the house oh, no! A mouse is cute in the store But not within the door I surely do wish it would leave.
I've baited and trapped and boxed Enough and even changed the locks I'm at my wits end And surely will mend But I want that mouse aflox.
I tried calling in a gox I tried placing out a box I tried things I dare not tell My walls they did swell But surely I do hear him knocks
I'm surely going bitty While writing this ditty I need something more purrful This stress is something furful I'm sure that I need a kitty!
(with apologies to Dr. Seuss)
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 23 Oct 2004 09:19:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comjk.net (GarySport) wrote:

Now that the assault weapons ban is over, go get yourself an AK47. Locate the approximate spot where they are in the wall, and blast the living hell out of them. You cant miss with that kind of weapon. It's best to do it from the interior of the house, rather than outside because its easier to fix wallboard than siding.
(GarySport)

haven't
the
control
at high

be
http://tinyurl.com/6b5df
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid 7&ncidu7&e&u=/ap/20041021/ap_on_fe_st/mouse_shooting
Get a black light, look for urine tracks under sink, along walls, etc. That's where traps go, after seeing where they're going to eat, and eliminating the attraction. Beef jerky on the trap trigger is much more difficult for them to remove without getting caught. And after a trap has killed a rodent, that scent remains. I understand that traps can be reused by putting them in the smoke from a burning newspaper, but have never tried it.

haven't
the
control
high
be

Jerky is excellent bait.

SoCal mice must be stupid or lazy. I caught 19 mice one winter at work reusing a single trap, no special treatment, just reset & go!
Bob K 207 wrote:

I usually eat the jerky between the time I open the package and before placing it in the trap.

I caught 13 of them in my pool house within a week using a cracker and PB as bait in a live trap (I don't kill animals).
On 24 Oct 2004 21:35:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bob K 207) wrote:
:) SoCal mice must be stupid or lazy. I caught 19 mice one winter at work :) reusing a single trap, no special treatment, just reset & go!
The pros prefer used traps anytime over new ones. The scent is a big aid in attracting in more, though with mice you don't really even need to bait the trap, thier curiosity does them in every time.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:41:38 -0400, "Michael Baugh"
:) And after a trap has killed a rodent, that scent :) remains. I understand that traps can be reused by putting them in the :) smoke from a burning newspaper, but have never tried it.
Those furry little cannibals really don't mind the scent of death.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
On 23 Oct 2004 09:19:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comjk.net (GarySport) wrote:
:) I think I have a mouse in the house. I havre put out some traps, but haven't :) caught anything.
Mice have no control of their bowel movements, so where ever they travel you should find droppins. If no droppings can be found they aren't inside.
:) The other night I heard some scratching or chewing in the :) wall behind the sheetrock. I was wondering if those ultrasound pest control :) things that the mousetrap companies are any good. The ones that operate at high :) sound frequency. What other way is there to get rid of a mouse that may be :) behind the wall? Thanks.
The sonics devices are a waste. If they are not entering the home to get food they must be going back outside. Search near the area for any possible entry and maybe adress the outside with a trap of some sorts at the opening , then seal when you feel the problem is taken care of.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

One other thing I thought I'd mention. I too had scratching behind the walls in my house. I found no droppings, put some traps out, and nothing. Turns out, I had a brown bat between my wall. He would get in under the flashing on the dormer, and what I heard was him coming and going.