mounting sink

I am installing a granite vanity top with an undermounted sink in the bathroom. The vendor said to attach the sink to the underside of the granite top with adhesive glue. The instructions say to drill holes in the granite and attach the sink with screws. I do not want to drill into the granite and the adhesive method sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this? thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dan-o

That's the way it's done, scary as it seems.

But what else can one do- a hunk of 2 X 4 to prop the basin up from the floor?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

all my underslung sinks are integral with the counter tops. Definitely glued together I can see the seams. Your counter top should have some sub structure like plywood to support the counter top. You could screw into the sub structure.

Reply to
SQLit

Hi Dan. Yeah, have had experience twice..Silestone countertops and stainless undermount sink First one in old house, the countertop guys came in late on a Friday, set the tops and the sink was "bonded" to the countertop and the clamps were still attached. They said in 24 hours we could hook up the plumbing. So 24 hours later we took off the clamps and I started to install the ring that holds the garbage disposal. Was pushing on it to center it and BOOM. the entire sink dropped out!!!! Being now Saturday and we were way tired of not having a sink, we cleaned it up, put on silicone and built a 2X4 structure under the sink to support it. Never had another problem.

Brand new house just completed this last november. Samn damn thing. Sink was bonded same as before but we were "assured" that they use special glue. Lasted about a week. Stainless undermount started to sag in the center so we got busy with the boards again. At least this time it didn't fall out.

Point is, you may be okay with a small bathroom sink. Myself after having this happen twice I would insist on some sort of support system or you may find your sink down in your vanity one morning..

Good luck! John

Reply to
John

Just had Silestone counters and a Moen composite sink installed last week. The sink was bounted on a 1x2 frame screwed into the cabinets with the upper rim flush with the top of the cabinets. The rim of the sink was loaded up with color matching silicone sealant and the counters mounted on top.

Reply to
jmgreen_

Drill and glue or glue and a good wood brace to the floor.

Reply to
m Ransley

Just moved into a new house and my sink is glued and clamped to the silestone countertop. It seems pretty solid....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac