Mounting faucet to porcelain sink-Use putty/caulk/silicone?

Hey all, I have a question about my bathroom faucet. This is a relatively new sink/faucet and I had my contractor install it about 2 months ago. He used some plumber's putty between the bottom of the faucet (which is a clear rubber) and the top of the sink (which is porcelain). Now I don't know if plumber's putty is supposed to act as an adhesive or not, but I noticed that the faucet isn't really *attached* to the sink at all anymore and now when you turn on the faucet it rocks back and forth and even lifts up about an inch or so off the sink. The faucet's pipes obviously are attached to the plumbing under the sink. Do I just add some more plumber's putty? From what I've read that stuff isn't really used as an adhesive. I've been reading up on it a little bit and some people suggested "mounting" the faucet with silicon.....but I was wondering if/how well that would adhere the rubber faucet base to the porcelain sink. Or is caulk the way to go? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Lisa

you call them back and tell them to come back and mount the faucet the correct way. if i were you i'd be talking to the owner of the contractor company for his worker's incompetence. you don't glue it down with either putty or silicone. they come with a rubber gasket to provide the seal to the sink. there should have been a nut or 3 that screws under the faucet to the underneath of the sink to mount the faucet correctly.
message

Hi Charlie, Thanks for your quick reply. There is in fact a rubber gasket (that's the clear rubber part I mentined) that contacts the sink. Getting my contractor to come back really isn't an option (there were a few things that he left undone that I ended up having to do myself) so I wanted to fix this myself. As far as nuts that secure the faucet to the underside of the sink, I wasn' t left with any spare parts so I guess they didn't exist or he disposed of them without attaching him. I didn't notice this thing moving until the plumber's putty wore off. Is there anything I can glue the rubber gasket to the sink with? Lisa

The simple answer to your quest is "No". The faucet has to be fasten on the bottom using a nut that screws on the threads of the part of the faucet that extends below the sink top. Perhaps the nut is on, but not tightened. It's possible that it was hand tightened only (it should be wrench tightened) and just got loose which allowed the faucet to move (it probably wasn't the plumbers' putty that was holding it). Check with you hand to see if its there and if you can hand tighten it. Then go out and get a basic wrench (under $5) make it more permanent. Just a little bit beyond hand tightening should do it.
PS: Other will instruct you how you should deal with your delinquent contractor.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Marilyn & Bob wrote:

difficult places like this just for tightening this nut. Usually sold in the plumbing dept. of stores.

Overall, M & B is/are correct. The faucet is held on by a nut (maybe with washers), not with any sort of glue.

no. you don't use glue. you use the nuts on the bottom. you'll need a basin wrench to tighten them (home depot plumbing dept). if there aren't any there to tighten, you can call the maker of the faucet and they'll probably mail you some for free if you explain what was done.
message

You don't use putty,silcon,glue the nuts are all you need the days of seals here are over unless the sink top is deformed and won't seall properly
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:31:56 +0000, Lisa Ashley Rafter wrote:

Sounds like the nut on the bottom has come loose somehow. The putty just seals the faucet base plate.
Check out this Replacing a Bathroom Faucet Step-by-step at This Old House Online:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,1615503,00.html
Even if you bring on a contractor, it's still good to know from a reputable source what is expected to be done in a repair like this. You can also take a look at the tools ans shopping lists to see what your contractor should be using.
Hope this helps, Tabitha