Mounting Central AC unit on side of home

I'm wanting to move my Lennox AC unit from the concrete pad it's on to the side of my house. My cousin is a heating/cooling guy and said that a lot of people are mounting a metal frame to the concrete/brick now and sitting the unit on it. I've tried tons of google searches and have come up with nothing as far as pictures go how-to's. If I had some pictures to go by I could design the frame and weld it up pretty quick but haven't had much luck.

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Reply to
p-nut

Similar arrangement is used in my area because of flood plain. Check for vibration transfer to house structure. TB

Reply to
tbasc

In my area most new installations are using a compsoite plastic pad rather than concrete.

Reply to
Dennis Turner

That's they way it was set up on my new home (ten years ago). I had to do some adjusting to eliminate the vibration issue. I still get a small amount of vibration, but not much now.

I suspect they did it because it was cheaper than building a proper pad. If I had it to do over, I would put it on a good pad.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

p-nut posted for all of us...

No comments on mounting, but why do you want to do this and beware of sound/vibration transfer.

Reply to
Tekkie®

P-nut,

Be sure to check on local zoning. Even with much more quiet units these days, many communities still have old ordinances which forbid putting the units on the side of the house.

Good luck, Gideon

===============

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Reply to
Gideon

Why?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I concur, why? Is there some specific reason for doing this? Hanging a appliance is extra work and adds new issues (vibration, support). Make sure you are not doing it for "because everyone else is doing it".

Reply to
borgunit

I want to move my AC to the side of the house and remove the pad for additional room/less noise for the new deck I will be building in the next month or so. Mounting it sounds like it's a bad idea hearing from everyone so far so I might just pour a new slab on the side of the house.

Reply to
p-nut

p-nut posted for all of us...

Ok, that makes sense. Don't want to build a deck around the condensor (as shown on some HVAC sites as what NOT to do). The HVAC guys can confirm this but I don't see you needing a poured pad. Heck some places use plastic types. Check with your AHJ for local regs of course.

Reply to
Tekkie®