Motor question

Page 2 of 2

On Oct 30, 9:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

With the clamp-on meters, it is important to center the wire within the "jaws" when taking readings. That might explain the 12% difference between the in and out wires.

In any case it needs to be resolved.
What is the current on the ground wire?
--
bud--

*I was wondering the same thing. It sounds as though there is leakage to ground.
Is it brand new, or been around a while? Might be the berrings are dry, and it's under a bit of a load, trying to spin. Give it a couple drops of ND-30 oil in the berrings, and see if that works better.
Someone else also mentioned using clamp on ammeter. That might give different number.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I read that as "Palin needles the sleeze." Must be projecting....
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:05:20 -0700, Smitty Two

Aren't those found in Alaska?
HeyBub wrote:

Are you misreading 18 as 13?
The table in the NEC gives 16 amps for an "average" 1 HP 120V motor. That, along with the nameplate value of 13A is for a fully loaded motor. Are you operating with a mechanical load?
Watts might also be of interest. A 1 1/8 HP mechanical load is 840 watts. Then there are losses that add. I never looked at the watts of an unloaded motor. Should be far less - most of the current is reactive.
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

You may be on to something - that, coupled with the limitation of the Kill-A-Watt to 15 amps, leads me to go ahead and perform the "Smoke Test."
You've not ever said what the motor is doing. A typical squirrel cage blower and its motor will run way over rated amps and burn the motor up. The normal process is to get it running and restrict the intake air until the amp draw is within spec. The blower wheels are normally in a housing that does this, the issue comes up if you try to run the blower out of its normal housing.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

I didn't see the 15A limit on my Kilowatt. I put it on my compressor motor and it started at about 16 amps when I turned it on, and went up to 19 amps just before shutting off when it reached full pressure, about 120psi. The Kilowatt seems ok for having been overloaded.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Limits: Max voltage 125VAC Max amps 15 A Max power 1875 VA http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

Most likely that's the rating for continuous duty. Mine was only on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes.