Motion lights-Opening of garage door

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use a motion detector with lights to turn on the motion detector lights when a garage door opens? My garage door opener fails to turn off the enclosed lights so I have disconnected the lights. So I am looking dor an alternative. I am asking whether I can use a motion detector to turn the lights on. Thanks for your help
Do you mean a motion detector for the opener x 10 has motion lights that can turn on other lights, sold also at Radio Shack as Plug In Power. A car with built in remote or many 3 way openers can access x 10. My X 10 outside and inside lights are programed to the caddys built in remote. Are Keychain controled if you wish. I could even set it to make coffee or turn on a radio. X 10 and Radio shack . My garage interior sensor turns on 3 banks of lights outside and interior house lights. All remote controled to if I wish.
I am writing about putting the motion detector in the garage so that when the garage door is opened, the motion detector senses the door is opening and the motion detector lights go on. Thanks for your help.

Aim the motion detector sensor at the door, it should go off when the door changes from up to down.
The door movement wont affect it, good sensors dont false trip. Mine is pointed at the door it wont trip, but the car pulling in does
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:16:40 -0600 "m Ransley" used 3 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

You know why don't you?
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Those motion detectors are using infrared radiation as the sensing solution. Unless you strap a live cat to the garage door, it will not sense it opening. Some motion detectors use microwave technology and can actually be tuned to "see" through walls and activate. Still, they will not detect the door. Why don't you wire in a garage door switch to a fixture. When the door is up, the relay closes and the light comes on. When the door is down, the relay opens and the light goes off.
ReRe
The door movement wont affect it, good sensors dont false trip. Mine is pointed at the door it wont trip, but the car pulling in does
As Chillermnfg said IR and motion are modern sensor technologies, or leaves and trees false alarm
chillermfg wrote:

WTH? My garage door openers both have light bulbs that come on when the opener is activated and they stay on a good 5 minutes or so before they cycle off. I thought they all came that way.
I also have a motion sensor with 2 flood lights in the garage that come on when I step inside from the house if the lights are otherwise off. Kind of handy at times...
All of the floods outside my house are on motion sensors as well. I don't see any reason to pay for lights I'm not using nor do I feel like leaving myself vulnerable unnecessarily.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Doesn't your post answer your question. You use a motion detector lamp assembly mounted inside the garage to provide you with the lighting you need. Or perhaps I don't understand the question at all.
PeteXX wrote:

If it's a motion-detector that you want to use then it should come on automatically when you step into the garage, the door starts moving or when you pull your car into the garage.
Why don't you just replace the light switch in the electric opener?
Rich http://www.garage-door-hardware.com
Your post is unclear.
Thaks for your help. Maybe you can tell me how to replace the light switch in the opener. I looked at the specs in the user manual, and I don't see a part named light swicth. It's interesting, when the door is down the light will go out after 4 1/2 minures. When the door is up, the light will not go out. In the user specs, about the only thing I see that relates to the lights is the logic board, which is expensve to replace. any help would be appreciated. I have put in the motion detector and am trying it out.

What brand opener do you have? Some operators have the light switches built into the logic board, others have a separate bi-metal element that activates the light.
Rich http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

And some older openers like Genie, had a switch that could be turned off or on to either have the lights stay on when the door was open or to have them turn off after the time delay.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
I have a Sears. One thing that is happening that I hadn't realized is that that when the door is opened the light will go on when I pass through the electric eye safety of the door. This may be keeping the light on and I hadn't realized that it was this feature. Thanks for the help. I will monitor the situation and see if the light functions correctly.

that feature off if you like. Start w/ the lights off, press & hold the light button for approx 10 sec until the light comes on & goes back off. To turn the feature back on start w/ the lights on. Or anytime the light is on you can push the light button to turn it off without waiting the full 4-1/2 minutes.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com