Motion detector yard light

My yard light won't go off any more. I block the detector wait 60 seconds and I hear the relay click off but the light now stays on when it used to go off. It clicks again when I block the detector, it times out and clicks again but the light never goes out.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Hi, Sounds like S.S. relay failed closed(short).
Tony Hwang wrote:

Wonderful. It near zero weather lately.

If it clicks, then it doesn't use a SS relay.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Hmmm, Really? small relay controls S.S. relay gate. Mine does that.

I would take the unit apart and locate the relay. If you can pry the cover off, you will likely find the contacts are stuck. I usually use an emery stick from my wife to smooth the contact surfaces when I run into a situation like this.
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote the following:

...then apply dielectric grease to the contacts to 'help' prevent future sticking and corrosion.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Van Chocstraw wrote:

The (mechanical) relay probably has a contact welded. If you can get it open, cleaning the contact with a thin file or sandpaper might restore it, at least for a while.

try to reset by turning of power,, if that wont work in daytime tap it with a stick- broompole, thats what I used to do with a stuck relay until it just would not unstick. Mine used to go bad alot, now I only use 25-50% of rated load for bulbs.
On 12/22/2009 09:49 PM, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Did anybody mention frost or ice on the contacts? I took the assembly off the garage and took it down to my nice warm workbench by the wood boiler. At first it still was stuck on. Then I went and made myself a coffee and when I came back it was functioning normally. Simulate night time and it went on 1minute and off again with motion. Simulate daytime and it was off (before it was stuck on). I guess when it warmed up it started working again. Put it back on the garage and will see tonight what happens. Did not see any way to open it without a hacksaw.