Motion detector light problems

Hi Everyone,
I'm having problems with the lights above my garage which are on a motion detector. I guess to start, it is a brand new house (about 5 months old), and these motion detector lights have been working without any problems up until now (and I had not changed anything prior to having these problems).
I noticed they were not coming on, but the red "sensor" light was still flashing.
Upon checking closer, if I switch to "test" I can have continuous lighting. But when I switch to any delay in time (1, 5 or 20 minutes) when the lights shut off I can't get them back on. (checking this in the dark, using flashlight to play with light settings).
What should I check now? I've never had a motion sensor before, but I'm sure it's gotta be pretty simple to fix?
Any suggestions / ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
sperrin
one here to get it back in sync I have to power it off and being there's no switch I flip the circuit break off a couple of seconds then back on. another here boasts it retains programming for up to five minutes to make up for short power outages,,, well it takes about twenty minutes of no power to reset it to defaults once it screws up.

Your motion detector sounds like mine (flashing red sensor light, 1, 5, 20 minutes, etc.)
If it is, then the motion detector uses a photocell light sensor to detect whether it is dark outside or not. If it is dark then upon detecting motion it turns on the light. If it isn't dark then upon detecting motion it only flashes the red LED.
If it is dark, then the motion sensor should turn on the lights when it detects motion. If it doesn't do this, then perhaps there is an issue somewhere that is making your photocell light sensor think that it is always daytime outside? I know that on TEST mode, the lights will turn on after detecting motion whether it is dark outside or not (i.e. it ignores the photocell light sensor).

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies so far.
I turned off the breaker to the lights for a few hours (I was going out) and still no luck when I reset the breaker.
When I've been trying things with the motion lights, it has been pitch black out - we live in the country. I think it must be something with the photocell.
We recently had a very hard rainfall here (set record levels of rain), I wonder if it was wet .. would that likely screw anything up in regards to the sensors in the photcell ?
Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
sperrin
Jonny R wrote:

I have about a dozen motion detectors around here. They go bad all the time. Fortunately Home Depot will take back a bad one and let you get a new one.
I don't remember accurately, but I had an old motion sensor light that would either:
1) Bypass the photocell 2) Bypass the motion sensor (i.e. lights always on)
When you would turn the light switch on and off rapidly (i.e. ON-OFF-ON, or ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON) within a 3 second interval.
If this problem occurred shortly after all that rain (hurricane Frances by any chance?), then yeah, it could definitely be a possibility that rain water got in and damaged the photocell, although these things are supposed to be made for outdoor weather.
If all else fails, you can usually buy new motion detector lights at Home Depot or Wal-Mart for pretty cheap.