Motion detector light

I have a motion detector light on my metal building. I had a pretty cheap one at first, but it got to where it came on and stayed on almost all the time. Replaced it with a better (?) model and it is doing the same thing. I am wondering if the metal building vibrates and the motion detector is sensing movement (its own) and clicking on. The building is next to a highway, there could be enough vibration to set it off. I have tried all the sensitivities, etc. All the same effect. Any ideas? Perry

Reply to
Perry

Did they both start having problems when it got cold?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Perry

I have one out side my dining room window that turns on occasionally when I turn on or off the kitchen lights. I call it a feature.

Did you connect the unit when the power was on? Bad idea. They tend to not like that at all.

Years ago, I was working on an apartment complex during construction. There was a state highway down one side of the property. All of the 14k AIC breakers would trip when the trucks drove by. Took us a week to figure it out. Manufacture was really pissed, but took care of the problem. We got all new breakers just in time for move in.

Reply to
SQLit

"The building is next to a highway, there could be enough vibration to set it off." Yes. My father had a security system put in his home. They could not put certain types of detectors on the front windows facing the highway. The vibration of traffic could set them off. The house sets a good 70 feet from the road. Does the light have a 'duration' setting? Mine has one. If activated it stays on for 5 minutes. I can change this setting.

Reply to
LCZ

Perry:

P > I have a motion detector light on my metal building. I had a pretty cheap P > one at first, but it got to where it came on and stayed on almost all the P > time. Replaced it with a better (?) model and it is doing the same thing. P > I am wondering if the metal building vibrates and the motion detector is P > sensing movement (its own) and clicking on. The building is next to a P > highway, there could be enough vibration to set it off. I have tried all P > the sensitivities, etc. All the same effect. Any ideas?

We have a motion detector light on our house which "mysteriously" goes off (full on) periodically. (It's the type that is 30% power at night, full power when detects motion, times out back to 30.) The neighbourhood cats and wildlife will set it off. Passing cars will also -- latter problem solved by aiming the sensor down a bit.

  • On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Reply to
barry martin