Moths?

We recently bought a 25 y.o. house in January. Two weeks ago I pulled out a brand new suit to wear to a wedding and noticed what appeared to be a moth hole in the shoulder. I was pretty upset and checked all the other clothes in my closet but didn't see any other signs.

Today, my wife took a shirt out of her closet for work, and found white streaks across the front and what appeared to be moth holes. She last wore the shirt two weeks ago. She pulled a second shirt out--same thing--white streaks and holes.

Sure seems like MOTHS to me, but I have lived a lot of places in my life and have NEVER EVER had a moth issue.

What do I do? How do I preserve my clothes in my own damn closet without these menaces ruining hundreds of dollars in clothing?

TIA,

E_R

Reply to
EggRaid

I forgot to mention: Suit was wool, first shirt was silk, second shirt was cotton...

I thought wool was the only MOTH target?

Reply to
EggRaid

Take your good clothes to be dry cleaned to kill the eggs and use moth balls or get cedar to line your closet. Moths eat alot of things,

Reply to
m Ransley

:) We recently bought a 25 y.o. house in January. Two weeks ago I pulled out a :) brand new suit to wear to a wedding and noticed what appeared to be a moth :) hole in the shoulder. I was pretty upset and checked all the other clothes :) in my closet but didn't see any other signs. :) :) Today, my wife took a shirt out of her closet for work, and found white :) streaks across the front and what appeared to be moth holes. She last wore :) the shirt two weeks ago. She pulled a second shirt out--same thing--white :) streaks and holes. :) :) Sure seems like MOTHS to me, but I have lived a lot of places in my life and :) have NEVER EVER had a moth issue. :) :) What do I do? How do I preserve my clothes in my own damn closet without :) these menaces ruining hundreds of dollars in clothing? :)

Chances are the damage is from the larvae of carpet beetles....

may find them/their shed skins of the corners of the closets. They and clothes moths will eat anything made from animal... feather, fur, hair, silk... The surest protection is to store cleaned clothing in air tight containers, basically Tupperware for clothing, zipper bags are not air tight. The infested closet may need to be emptied, treat the corners, baseboards, under shelving with a residual insecticide, have the clothing cleaned. What ever setting on your dryer is the lowest heat setting that is safe for your clothing is more than enough to dislodge the insect from the clothes...go from the dryer or the cleaners into the storage bins. If you go the way of moth balls/closet fresheners make sure the active ingredient is paradichlorabenzine (PDCB), it not only repels, but kills what might be in there as long as the closet isn't too over stuffed.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar