Most reliable AA Alkaline

Page 1 of 2
This morning I noticed the remote temperature sensor on my LaCrosse station was offline. Pulled sensor and opened battery case. Some corrosion from Duracell batteries marked MAR2017. One cell leaking. Replaced them after a vinegar cleanup, CRC 2-26 spray and vaseline wipedown. Went to wall station to remove batteries for reset. SEVERE corrosion from the same type Duracell MAR2017 cells in it with both cells leaking! Both devices had batteries put in last summer. Used same cleanup and new batteries. All working but I am seriously in doubt of what brand to use for future replacements. Rayovac has leaked on other flashlights etc. so I am trying the 10 year Energizer Max cells. I used SANYO cells for a long time (with no problems) but can not find them now. Any recommendations or gotchas appreciated.
--
Mr.E

Recently... within the last 10 years, I have experienced a number of DuraCell battery failures. The batteries leaked with a fair amount of damage to the electrical device.
I wound up switching to Energizer brand.... no leaks with these.
cheers Bob
On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:33:37 AM UTC-7, DD_BobK wrote:

Almost all of the old reliable brands aren’t anymore.
I've heard on other lists, that Duracell quality has really failed. Others on email say Energizer are dependable. One email friend of mine swears by Varta brand. I've had good results with Maxell. (from Ebay.) My church buys Berkeley and Jensen brand for the clocks. They seem OK. (Sold at BJ's Wholesale Club.)
Almost all of the old reliable brands arent anymore.
On Mar 26, 1:13 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

re:

Berkeley and Jensen brand, sold at BJ's, I wonder if there's a connection? ;-)
I use the Berkeley and Jensen brand exclusively. I don't recall ever having any of them leak. Maybe they die and get changed before they leak, but I'd rather have that than a leaky battery.
No more coincidence than being able to buy International House of Pancake products at your local IHOP.
Not leaking is a good thing, and very important. I'd rather have BJ brand batteries that don't leak.
re:

Berkeley and Jensen brand, sold at BJ's, I wonder if there's a connection? ;-)
I use the Berkeley and Jensen brand exclusively. I don't recall ever having any of them leak. Maybe they die and get changed before they leak, but I'd rather have that than a leaky battery.
What about switching to rechargeable batteries so that you'll be swapping out the batteries more often and will find leaking batteries before they cause any damage.
--
nestork

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:26:53 +0000, nestork

In an outdoor weather station? My lithium batteries last at least two years. Damned if I'm going to swap out rechargeable every couple of months when it is cold as hell.
Yes, Energizer does make lithium AA cells. I don't know if they corrode, or not. Like you say, fewer trips outdoors to the remote sensor.
I've got a remote thermometer which takes AAA cells. I love it. Alkalines for the outdoor unit, and the cheaper carbon cells from Harbor Freight flash lights for the indoor unit. When Christmas time comes around, I'll buy some alkalines for the HF flash lights and give them away.
In an outdoor weather station? My lithium batteries last at least two years. Damned if I'm going to swap out rechargeable every couple of months when it is cold as hell.
On 3/26/2013 6:26 PM, nestork wrote:

rechargeable batteries.
I put lithium batteries in ours maybe two years ago and it is still going strong. As a bonus lithium batteries perform much better in really cold weather.
Per DD_BobK:

+1
--
Pete Cresswell

A friend of mine had Duracells (think it was?) leak inside a Mag light. He harvested the bulb and such, and I mailed the rest back to Duracell. They sent me a prepaid card for $20 or so. Not a big advantage, cost me about ten bucks to send the light. UPS and USPS both about the same cost to ship.
As to off brands, Amazon and Ebay are good sources.
[...]

I've used Costco's brand, Kirkland, for a few years now. No problems and they're cheap in bulk.....that is if you have a membership anyway.
On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:52:29 PM UTC-6, tom wrote:

Most of the batteries are made in CHINA anyway so just buy the cheapest as they all are the same shit.
On 3/26/2013 3:52 PM, tom wrote:

Likewise. Been using them for many years now without problems. They last a long time as well.

Kirkland batteries have become such chronic leakers that I bought Duracell last time. Sounds like they may not be much of an improvement.
Kirkland AAA's ruined a GMRS radio and leaked in a boom box remote forming a puddle on the endtable.
Kirkland AA's in a digital atomic clock were still wet when I discovered them leaking. I'd been getting wiffs of electrical burning at night and began hunting for the source. Not that the leaking batteries were necessarily it, but the smell went away.
After the onboard Li CMOS battery died in an old PC I still use I used a 4 AA caddy connected to the pins for this purpose. The caddy rested on the modem card. Then the Kirkland cells leaked and crystals formed on the modem card causing the PC to become unstable.
Mr.E wrote:

Forget the Alkaline, use Lithium ones. Last whole lot longer.
Consumer Reports magazine tests many battery brands, and kinds
marc
The Alkaline battery is just another product named after a Hall of Fame Baseball player.
The Reggie candy bar was a flop. On the other hand, Baby Ruth candy bar was a success as was Yogi Bear.
But unless there is a change in technology, the Al Kaline battery will be with us forever.
On 03/28/2013 02:52 PM, Dick Adams wrote:

What's a "Kaline", or is it just another weird spell checker error?