Most heat resistant counter top?

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is

12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness options?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Stainless steel?

Reply to
Pete C.

Could be. You wouldn't see the wood underneath being scorched. As long as it doesn't get odoriferous when the wood heats up. Too bad I can't put a layer of asbestos under the stainless. Or is there something else that goes in between?

Having Corian and stainless steel join together...

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Maybe the answer is tile? Porcelain or ceramic?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Stainless usually doesn't have a backer. You could back it with regular cement board if you wanted.

Reply to
Pete C.

Grout lines - bad, a pain to clean and seal, tile isn't generally flat so stuff doesn't always sit on them well, and it's also very much out of style for kitchen counters.

Reply to
Pete C.

Trivet? Just lay a hunk of tile or stone on top of the Corian, if you like it better than all stone. SWMBO would never have anything other than granite, or perhaps quartz, again. Corian for the bathroom, maybe, but not the kitchen.

Reply to
krw

On this page the unglazed porcelain tile comes in 14" squares:

That countertop would be 28" x 12-1/4", so only a single grout line. And only one place for unevenness.

I don't care what is in style. If I did, I wouldn't be installing Designer White Corian.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Silestone (engineered quartz) is very heat-resistant.

Reply to
missingchild

Stainless steel is probably the most practical counter top. Virtually all commercial kitchens use stainless steel food preparation surfaces.

Granite is an igneous rock, and as such is extremely heat resistant.

Everyone wants a ceramic tile counter top until they have one. The problem is that dirt collects in the grout lines, and so they're harder to keep clean than any counter top that offers a continuous smooth flat surface.

Probably the most durable and attractive counter top would be granite.

Probably the most practical counter top would be stainless steel.

Reply to
nestork

Diamond. Make the counter out of diamond.

Reply to
micky

I'd want to see a stainless counter that was 10 years old. For deocratoin and surfaces that don't get used, it's great, but wouldn't it get beat up. in use. The bottom of my sink doesn't look so good, afaicr.

Reply to
micky

Comercial stainless steel counter tops do not have anything underneath them except air.. And they are EXTREMELY heat resistant..

If you need to put it over wood, put some ceramic heat blanket like used on aircraft firewalls - One brand is Fiberfax.- between the wood and the stainless.

Reply to
clare

Make that Fiberfrax.

Reply to
clare

Virtually every commercial kitchen has stainless steel counter tops. Not necessarilly pretty, but very durable.

Reply to
clare

Granite, or other similar stone, is best for a kitchen. The high thermal mass makes them great for baking and things like candy. Stainless, not so much.

Reply to
krw

There are stainless cleaners that will keep a stainless sink looking new.

Reply to
krw

Unfortunately, the heat would be transferred to the substrate. Diamond is many times better conductor than copper.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Could be. You wouldn't see the wood underneath being scorched. As long as it doesn't get odoriferous when the wood heats up. Too bad I can't put a layer of asbestos under the stainless. Or is there something else that goes in between?

Having Corian and stainless steel join together...

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Don... Air space between the steel and the cabinet. Have the steel folded around the 4 sides with a flange folded in. Screw in place by going up from inside the cabinet and into the flanges..WW

Reply to
WW

There is no one best for the kitchen. Granite has plenty of negatives.

This thread is not on what is best for the kitchen. It is on what is the most heat resistant counter. This because my counters will be Corian and that isn't very heat resistant. Since I can put 12-1/4" of something else alongside the stove I'd like to do it. Just what else at this spot is the question.