Most economical wall covering for shop ?

I would like to cover up my insulation with some type of board,fiber board or some type of material . What would be the most economical right now with steel and wood prices so high ? Thanks, Iowa883

strapped for cash, check dumpsters and recycle drops for clean wood pallets, and pull the planks off and drywall-screw or nail them to the studs. Yes, a lotta labor prying them apart, but usually pretty decent wood, and it allows you to hang stuff anywhere. Pallets <used> to be penta-treated like ammo boxes, but I don't <think> they have done that in several years. But just in case probably a good idea to take precautions when you work the wood. You can cut the planks to a multiple of your stud spaces and just screw them up horizontaly like a stable, or get fancy and lay them out herringbone style.
Or more realistically, keep checking the scratch'n'dent aisle at the big-box, and buy up the dinged panels of that prefinished faux wood stuff they sell for skinning sheds with. Ugly, but the surface is rather durable, compared to drywall. Only you can decide- pretty costs. How much ugly can you live with? If cost was no object, I'd go with 5/4 car siding or commercial slat wall, myself. (there is a thought- check local store fittings wholesaler- the ripout material from failed stores usually goes dirt cheap.)
aem sends...

Drywall may be delicate but it resists FIRE. And, it is very easy to patch holes and retouch the patches.
You can make a good case for putting up an 1" or so. This will resist punch through and can still be patch. Two 1/2" layers will do the job.
1/4 inch pegboard. Just slap some white paint on it...and you've got a place to hang every tool you'll ever own.

Then I have to seal it correct ? What do I seal it with ? Thanks, Iowa883

Latex primer and paint
Iowa883 wrote:

What kind of insulation? If it is foam, you may need fire rated material.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Iowa883 wrote:

First post for me....great group.
I rebuilt my 13x22 shop last year. I used 1/4" luan plywood from Menards for the walls and ceiling... 7 or 8 bucks a sheet at the time. I finished the seams using some of that 5/16" pine tongue and groove paneling, that comes in shrink wrap packages, which I ripped into 1 1/2" strips for battens. It was a cheap and quick solution and I'm pleased with the look
Lenny