most economical (gasoline)

Which is the most economical? to use additive for gasoline for small engines to take care of standard gasoline with alcohol added or to buy premium fuels with no alcohol added?

Reply to
Frank Thompson

For the dollar a year difference, I go with the premium ethanol free. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. . "Frank Thompson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@w8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... Which is the most economical? to use additive for gasoline for small engines to take care of standard gasoline with alcohol added or to buy premium fuels with no alcohol added?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not sure all premium is ethanol free. Probably depends on area you live in.

Reply to
Frank

What's the big deal about not using gas with alcohol added? I have been using it for years in my mowers, tillers, etc. without any problems.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

snipped-for-privacy@w8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...

I['m not even sure any premium is ethanol free. None of it here in the nj/nyc area is. You can't find any gas that is ethanol free. But if I had the choice, for small engines, no question I'd buy the alcohol free. There are countless reports of the problems alcohol causes, so why buy gas with alchohol, then pay for an additive that *might* help fix it?

Reply to
trader4

Yep.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Do a bit of googling and you'll find plenty of problems. Alcohol attracts water and that in turn leads to corrosion of carb parts, gunking them up, etc.

Reply to
trader4

What's the big deal about not using gas with alcohol added? I have been using it for years in my mowers, tillers, etc. without any problems.

Don

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try here:

I['m not even sure any premium is ethanol free. None of it here in the nj/nyc area is. You can't find any gas that is ethanol free. But if I had the choice, for small engines, no question I'd buy the alcohol free. There are countless reports of the problems alcohol causes, so why buy gas with alchohol, then pay for an additive that *might* help fix it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The problems with E-10 are mostly involved with storing it. Buy it, burn it and buy more. You will be fine. If you are storing a boat, power tool or whatever, run it dry and store it dry. This is months, not years. The biggest reason this seems to pick on boats and small engines is that they are stored more than they are used, usually full of gas.

Reply to
gfretwell

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@w8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...

I tried to Google it up but did not get a good answer. One site had a US map with fuel requirements of the various states and regions. It's one hell of a mess that causes price increases and fuel shortages throughout the country, e.g. a refinery goes down in California and they cannot bring in gas from out of state as it does not meet their requirements. Pure insanity.

I had trouble with alcohol containing gas bringing down my snow thrower a couple of years ago when I left stabilized gas in it over the summer. Because ethanol in gas changes its solvent properties engines with seals not made for such gas may have seals and the like attacked. I don't see how you can add anything to the gas to change this problem. In my case, I believe shop replaced seals that caused the problem.

I did not notice til much later that snow thrower manual said not to use gas with ethanol in it.

Reply to
Frank

NJ is not even on the list. For NY, nothing I see anywhere near the nyc area. It's all way upstate.

Reply to
trader4

NJ is not even on the list. For NY, nothing I see anywhere near the nyc area. It's all way upstate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Page I was looking at, lot of info:

They even recommend draining your gas tank if not used for a month and good storage up to 6 months.

Hell, I'm using some 2 cycle mix that must be 5 years old and still good :)

Reply to
Frank

That will depend on your definition of "good" - and what you started with. If you started with AvGas, quite possibly actually "good" or if you stored it in a sealed full can.

Reply to
clare

It's in a 2 gallon can about 1/3 full and had Sta-Bil added. Left over from when I had a 2 cycle mower but now its 4 cycle but this gas still runs my string trimmer. Gas looked clear before I tried it in the string trimmer.

My 4 cycle Honda mower started first time this year with gas left in the tank from last summer. Simple little shut off valve, probably cost Honda an extra 25 cents allows engine to be run dry without emptying the tank.

If my snow thrower had a fuel shut off valve, it might have saved expense of shop fixing damage caused by leaving gas with ethanol in it.

Reply to
Frank

I question why the word *premium*.

I presume you know what "premium" means, which is merely gas that has a lower tendency to knock under a given compression ratio (and heat).

Premium is *not better* than "regular" gasoline, despite advertising to the contrary (e.g., classic detergent FUD).

Neither "premium" nor "regular" nor anything in between is better than the other. The octane rating just means the gas reacts differently to a given compression ratio (and other related detonation factors such as heat).

Given whatever the compression ratio in my lawn equipment is, I get along just fine with 87 AKI California gasoline.

Why the desire to use 92 AKI fuels in your lawn equipment? Is your lawn equipment running at a high compression ratio?

Reply to
Danny D.

The issue is not the octane rating. The issue is that he claims he has high octane gas available which doesn't contain alcohol. Alcohol is a real potential problem for small engines. If I could buy gas for use in small engines that had no alcohol, I would. But at least here, nyc/nj area, it's not available.

Reply to
trader4

Some brands have higher detergent levels in their Premium, than in their Regular gas. Shell is one of them. There's been independent tests posted on the internet back this up.

Reply to
Congoleum Breckenridge

Then the next logical question would be who needs this detergent and does it actually do anything or is it marketing hype? I've had all kinds of cars and put a lot of miles on many of them, didn't use premium in most of them and had no problems. And given that most people use regular or one step up, you would think there would be a lot of problems if this extra detergent was necessary.

Reply to
trader4