morter mix ratio

I need to make a low 2 brick high wall around a garden bed. I know the texture of the morter should be something like toothpaste, but I don't remember what the ratio of morter/sand/water should be. I just need a small amount. Any help would be appreciated. JD
For a small amount buy a bag of pre mix mortar mix and just add water.

JD wrote:

1:1:6 (cement:lime:sand) The sand should be mason/plaster sand. Water to consistency, not runny.

Buy it premixed. There is no money to be saved by mixing your own unless you are building a house.
I have a bag of buff morter mix to match the house morter. What I understand is 1 part morter mix 6 parts sand and a little water to make it stiff and not runny. JD

if you decide to make it from scratch, you can increase the ratio of portland cement if you want to make it tornado/bomb resistant
my 2 favorite recipes for best results:
2 parts sand : 1 part portland cement
or even better:
16 parts sand : 7 parts portland cement : 1 part hydrated lime
I do this when customers want a hardened installation.
no one likes a tornado damaged garden bed wall!
hehe