mortar bed under bathtub dry time

I'm installing a Sterling Plumbing Vikrell tub and surround. The instructions mention putting an *optional* mortar bed under the tub. At first I wasn't going to do this, but after having the tub set in somewhat temporarily, I have changed my mind.

The tub came with a small sheet of landscaping fabric / felt fabric to put between the subfloor and tub to prevent squeaks etc, but i still hear an occasional noise. So, before I put the tub in permanently, i think i'm going to put in the mortar bed.

This our only full bath. How long do we need to stay out of the tub until the motar is set well enough to stand someone bathing in the tub? I'd like to have an idea of how long we might have to shower at relatives houses until ours is usable again.

Reply to
spam disintegrator

I see plumbers using wetting type drywall mud. You could get yourself a bag of durabond 20 minute and be taking showers in an hour. Even mortar mix should be good to go in 12 hours or so, depending on the temp/humidity etc.

Reply to
marson

Another question I have is by how much the motar bed may raise the tub off the floor. I roughed in the plumbing already, and I roughed in the drain pipe based on the tub sitting on the subfloor. Because of limited access, the drain was not fun to do. Therefore, i don't want to end up re-plumbing the drain if the tub will be raised up off the floor some from the motar bed.

As to the use of drywall mud, instructions specifically say NOT to use drywall mud:

"IMPORTANT! Mortar cement is required to level an uneven subfloor. Do not use plaster, gypsum cement, or drywall compound for this application, as these materials do not provide adequate structural support. Spread a layer of mortar cement on the subfloor where the bath supports will be located."

Reply to
spam disintegrator

Fill the tub with water, and use expanding foam for support between the tub and sub floor. Let is sit this way until the foam has cured. I used this approach a few years ago with no current problem. But, I don't know what your "bath supports" are.

-- Oren

Oren