Mormon kitchen sink

Page 1 of 2
Guess this is as good a day as any to mention my latest home repair, the kitchen sink.
Sunday, I was washing my dinner dishes, and the sink is draining very slowly. It's been doing that for about twenty years, not much is new. I happened to notice a bottle of drain crystals near the sink. Might as well put some in, help clear the grease and crud out.
I put in about a table spoon of drain crystals, and that didn't help much. Let that run till the water in the sink drained down.
Not to be discouraged, I decided to try the boiling water technique. I filled the tea kettle (or as I'm a Mormon, that's a hot chocolate kettle) and put it on the stove. A kettle of boilding water did no good, the drain is as slow as it ever was. Four kettles of boiling water also did no good.
Monday morning, I decided it was beyond tea kettle, and we're into drain snake. I got out my pistol grip (sorry, I got you all exctited, thinking I might own a gun; I do not) crank type snake, and pushed it in. I got every inch of the drain snake, probably 20 feet by 1/4 inch, and still the drain does not flow.
Noticing there is a clean out under the kitchen counter, went and bought a 40 feet long drain cleaner tape from Lowe's. Sadly, the snake only goes about a foot, and stops. (at an elbow, most likely).
I called on a friend of mine, we made plans to cut out the bad pipe, and replace it. His wife had the car, so I drove to pick him up. We pulled some trailer skirting, and looked at the pipe. The pipe is over the tar paper and insullation in the floor, and would be a lot of work to replace.
I cut the 1 1/2 black ABS pipe under the sink, and we tried to run a drain snake in from below. Also no joy.
Parts run to the store. Buy an expanding bladder tip for the garden hose. While there, buy a clean out, and a couple Fernco couplers.
My garden hose faucet didn't have enough flow to expand the bladder. Connect to a different faucet which had better water flow.
The improved water flow expanded the bladder, and pushed much of the grease and blockage down the line. There was a section of drain pipe below the trailer which was connected with Ferncos. Neighbor across the street had come along to help out. He noticed it was a poor job, and so he pulled the patch out.
Needed a cordless sawzall. The guy he knows who has one, gets out of work in an hour.
With an hour till the saw arrives, time for another parts run. Back to the parts store. Cut a length of tube to fit, and then we discover we need another Fercno coupler. Back to the store for a Fernco. Steve called on my cell phone, need an elbow also.
I bought two Ferncos, and two elbows. Figure that's cheaper than the gasoline to get to the store.
Back to the trailer. Steve had run his snake from the bad patch job, back to the end of the trailer. Steve declares the drain to be clear.
The job is not complete. I've got to reconnect the pipe sculpture under the sink, and mop up the mess where it got wet. The trailer smells like a clogged kitchen sink drain, and that needs to be cleaned.
Later this morning, I'll reconnect the pipe under the kitchen counter, and hope the drain is clear.
You can see why I've put this off for twenty years. Lot of work, and it's not complete yet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:20:59 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Nice, a story without a conclusion?
On 9/23/2015 8:29 AM, bob_villa wrote:

Surprised to hear he had a tea kettle:
https://www.mormon.org/faq/law-of-health
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:53:35 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

He did say something about hot chocolate...but doesn't that have caffeine in it?
On 09/23/2015 07:46 AM, bob_villa wrote:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89.9?lang=eng
"9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly."
Doctrine and Covenants 89.9
Old Joe, like a lot of people in the prophet business, couldn't come out with a bullet list of what he was talking about, leaving others to fill in the blanks. I believe according the the Lord High Mukketymucks 'hot drinks' means tea and coffee, whether or not they're actually hot. Had Joe known about Monster he would have banned it too.
So cold Jolt is okay, hot Jolt maybe not so much.
On 9/23/2015 10:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

Actually Holy Joe is still heard, today, some would say. About two or three years ago, the church banned power drinks, and power shots. They did not list names, but that would have to include five hour energy, Monster, Red Bull, and I'd have to guess at the others.
On 09/24/2015 05:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, the joy of ongoing revelations... Get your latest fatwa here. I saw an Iranian film, 'A Separation', a couple of years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Separation
When confronted with a situation that is ambiguous, the personal care assistant whips out her cellphone and calls up Dial-A-Fatwa for the advice on how to proceed.
It's a pretty good film and not at all political. However, it makes everyday Iranians too human and isn't compatible with the official demonization of the country.
On 9/24/2015 10:05 AM, rbowman wrote:

Church organizations rely on continuing revelation by whatever name. Life is no fun unless there is a Papal Decree, a word from Billy Graham, a 614th rule from the Jewish Council, or a message from the high mucky mucks.
Without alcohol, drugs, coffee, there isn't much left to do but make babies, and speculate on the next revelation. I'm guessing the next one from Salt Lake, we'll all have to get E-15 compatible cars.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 09/24/2015 02:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't forget Big Mo. In my own way I'm too much of a traditionalist to be comfortable with ongoing rewrites.
On 9/23/2015 10:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

Thursday arrives. I tried the sink yesterday, after I put it all together. Still needs the gaskets replaced around where the drain meets the sink. One leaks badly. The PVC isn't sized very well. Stil has an air gap or two, around the pipes. I am thinking to replace the two gaskets, got to buy those today. And also buy a tube of silicone caulk, and put any where I think it might be leaking. It's a hack way of doing it, but at the moment I don't much care. Had enough of that nonsense.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/23/2015 8:53 AM, Frank wrote:

The pipe sculpture under the counter is not reconnected, so no conclusion yet.
It's also an oatmeal kettle.
On 9/23/2015 9:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I thought hot drinks were prohibited so that makes sense.
No coffee, no tea, no beer - I'll remain a Catholic - although I don't believe in global warming.
On 9/23/2015 12:29 PM, Frank wrote:

Hot drinks was later interpreted to be tea and coffee. Before anyone says caffeine, soda pop and Mountain Dew are personal choice. I just don't know why that is.
I heard on the radio that Pope Francis is visiting USA.
On 09/23/2015 04:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now is the time to abandon your heresy and be saved.

Is a Mormon kitchen sink big enough for a year of dirty dishes?
On 9/24/2015 5:04 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

Sigh. That would be too good to be true.
On 9/23/2015 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm a cafeteria Catholic. Think most of us are.
Can a Mormon drink tea and still be considered a Mormon?
On 09/24/2015 07:24 AM, Frank wrote:

As much as Kerry and Pelosi can be considered Catholics...
On 9/24/2015 10:08 AM, rbowman wrote:

That's what I would think, as well as Biden, whose politics support abortion. Got to be a much greater sin than drinking tea.
On 09/24/2015 10:02 AM, Frank wrote:

It must have been a hoot watching the Democrats and Republicans sticking their fingers in their ears at various points. Anybody who thinks Francis is some sort of newly minted radical need to read Leo XIII's 'Rerum Novarum' from 1891.