More squirrels in the attic!!!!

Page 1 of 2
I'm guessing they are squirrels? Only a couple of days off this month and I want to try and do somthing tomorrow on my day off. We just started hearing the digging and chewing this past week in the ceiling area. Its difficult to gain access to the attic but I hope to place a trap up there and try to catch them????
What kind of trap would I want???
I welcome any suggestions on dealing with this problem.
I just had the roof done in the spring and they supposedly replaced some bad trim but I'll check it more closely to see where they may be getting in. Could be a missing soffit screen somewhere. If so, would it be bad to seal the hole with them in there?
When I cleaned my shed recently, I saw the damage they have been doing chewing up the 2x4's. Do they chew wires???
Also, I dont mind killing them if need be! I think our local squirrel population is very high!! The heard needs thinning.
TIA
Steve
Let's see, a bear trap should work. No, wait a minute! I think maybe a squirrel trap would work better.
Havahart, among others, makes them. I wouldn't fix the opening until I get them out and relocated. If you can't find an obvious hole, watch them around dusk when they will head in for the night.
And yes, they do eat the insulation off wires and can be very destructive.
OK, next stupid question. Who would carry this type of trap? Hardware store? I dont have time to buy over the net. Looking for a store I can walk into.???
Steve

You might be suprised that the human society might rent/loan you for some time the trap for free. Give them a call.
later,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Home Depot has them.

Moth balls will drive them out, then seal the holes.

My experience is with red squirrels - incredibly sneaky, wiley, destructive creatures. I've tried a lot of things re: squirrels, but most successful has been to kill every squirrel I see on my property, just eradicate them. Substitutes will move in the next year or later, but I just hunt them when I hear them in the woods. I'm not trying to be bloodthirsty, but that's the only way I've been able to take care of the problem. Tried several types of traps - dead types and live types. Tried baits and poisons. I really prefer just to plink them with the pellet gun, .22 or shot gun, depending on safety factors, and be done with it. But then again, I don't mind killing rodent pests, so I had no qualms. Frankly, I think it's silly to live trap them and set them free somewhere else- it's a false sense of humanity imho. I'm often amused and surprised at folks who have no problem killing rats or mice, but want to live trap and relocate squirrels. On the other hand, if you don't want to kill any living creature, fine - it's just not my thing.
It's pretty easy to "hunt" them, although you might have to get up pretty early. They tend to move in and out at dusk / dawn. If you have help, you can spot at various places of the house (assuming you don't know where they're getting in and out). Once you see them go out, they're pretty easy to hunt in the trees, and a fairly safe shot (straight up into a tree).
Now, that said, best bet in the long run is to just trim back the trees and plug all holes, but even so, I've always had very aggrivating problems with them if I don't get rid of them. They can climb up siding after all. After they've chewed wires, put holes in dry wall from inside out, wakened you at dawn scurrying about over your head, you have trouble with a live and let live attitude.
HTH, Cam
I've always been amazed by the folks who consider it inhumane to put a bullet through a squirrels head, dropping it and killing it instantly. On the other hand, they are extremely proud of themselves for "humanely" trapping the rodents in live traps and then dropping the trap and squirrel in a barrel of water to allow the critter to relatively slowly suffer through drowning.

[...]

to put

instantly.
"humanely"
and squirrel in

suffer through

Actually, I've read that drowning is supposed to be a relatively painless way to die. This according to people who have done it.
Bob

I've read and heard the same and for all I know it's true. But having tried the technique to end the life of small critters, I'd say they struggle a lot more when drowning than when dispatched by a properly placed bullet. I have also assisted in euthanizing animals by lethal injection. In both cases, the animal struggled mightily, not because of the needle, but because of being restrained to inject properly. The animals I've dispatched with a gun -either long distance or up close and personal - do not fear the gun and are dead before they know anything is happening. Does the struggle represent pain or some other unpleasant thing for the animal? Maybe not, but I prefer the bullet. Again, I probably sound like a bloodthirsty indiscriminate killer, but given the need to eradicate a pest, quick is better and more humane, imho. If there is no need to eradicate them, or if they aren't tasty eating, don't kill them!
Cam

So, after these people have drowned, they've written about what a painless experience it was?
eq
<equalizer> wrote in message> >Actually, I've read that drowning is supposed to be a relatively

That's right. They say once you fill your lungs with water, you just breath water till you pass out.
Then if you get resusitated, you can write about it.
Bob

breath
Lungs don't fill with water. Parts of the tubes (trachea, bronchii, etc.) get some water in them, but not the lungs.
Steve wrote:

Why don't you stick a cat up there for a day or two. See what he can do to defend the homestead. Police up the remains later.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I'm thinking of it! Our 2 month old kitten would probably lose the fight though.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:22:32 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

If you have more than one squirrel, the remains could be the cat.
;)
later,
tom @ www.ChopURL.com
Steve wrote:

I just had that problem a couple of years ago. The pro was not all that expensive, about $100 total as I recall. He was out three times. First to evaluate and set a trap. (on the roof close to where they were getting in) Second day he removed one and the third day got the other one and partly blocking the entrance to see if there were any more coming or going. After a few days the blockage was still there so I closed up the hole.
The little devils had gone inside a wall had before they were evicted had clawed two small holes through the drywall. I'm sure my cats would have had fun if they got the holes large enough to get in to the house.
In any case the additional cost over the cost of a trap, was worth the expertise and eliminating the need for me to get up on our two story roof.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph,
I've been reading your posts for a whlie
What's up with the Irish math?
Joseph Meehan wrote:

month
ceiling
be
would
doing
squirrel
all that

First to

getting in)

partly
After
evicted
would have

worth the

roof.
mike60510 wrote:

The Republic of Ireland has 26 counties. North Ireland has 6 counties. Together they make one whole country and island as it was before the English messed things up. Hopefully I will live long enough to see it all re-united.
Joseph Meehan
26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I've watched some neighbors doing battle with squirrels in the attic for months with marginal success. I've seen others hire some Pest Control company and have the problem fixed in 3 days for $100 or so.