More squirrels in the attic!!!!

I'm guessing they are squirrels? Only a couple of days off this month and I want to try and do somthing tomorrow on my day off. We just started hearing the digging and chewing this past week in the ceiling area. Its difficult to gain access to the attic but I hope to place a trap up there and try to catch them????

What kind of trap would I want???

I welcome any suggestions on dealing with this problem.

I just had the roof done in the spring and they supposedly replaced some bad trim but I'll check it more closely to see where they may be getting in. Could be a missing soffit screen somewhere. If so, would it be bad to seal the hole with them in there?

When I cleaned my shed recently, I saw the damage they have been doing chewing up the 2x4's. Do they chew wires???

Also, I dont mind killing them if need be! I think our local squirrel population is very high!! The heard needs thinning.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Let's see, a bear trap should work. No, wait a minute! I think maybe a squirrel trap would work better.

Havahart, among others, makes them. I wouldn't fix the opening until I get them out and relocated. If you can't find an obvious hole, watch them around dusk when they will head in for the night.

And yes, they do eat the insulation off wires and can be very destructive.

Reply to
trader4

Why don't you stick a cat up there for a day or two. See what he can do to defend the homestead. Police up the remains later.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

OK, next stupid question. Who would carry this type of trap? Hardware store? I dont have time to buy over the net. Looking for a store I can walk into.???

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I just had that problem a couple of years ago. The pro was not all that expensive, about $100 total as I recall. He was out three times. First to evaluate and set a trap. (on the roof close to where they were getting in) Second day he removed one and the third day got the other one and partly blocking the entrance to see if there were any more coming or going. After a few days the blockage was still there so I closed up the hole.

The little devils had gone inside a wall had before they were evicted had clawed two small holes through the drywall. I'm sure my cats would have had fun if they got the holes large enough to get in to the house.

In any case the additional cost over the cost of a trap, was worth the expertise and eliminating the need for me to get up on our two story roof.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

imho:

Trapping them only works depending on what you plan on doing with them once caught. You release them outside they will return, you take them far away and release them, you could giving them a rough dealth sentance. You kill and eat them, that could be a very rewarding hobbie. :)

squirrel trap?.>>.?????

Yes, get rid of the squirls and seal your attic up. You go around sealing your attic and leaving one, one-way door for any remaing squirrels to leave. To oust them a little faster, I've heard placing an open bottle of men's calone, will make the scatter. Something about the inate fear of humans.

Gotta find it, and fix it, as well as any other points of possible entry.

They chew anything. If their teeth, like all rodents, continue growing and must be constanty worn down.

Yummmm..... squirrel thinning. When I was down south, I've heard squirrels referred to 'Chicken of the Tree' ;)

hth,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Joseph,

I've been reading your posts for a whlie

What's up with the Irish math?

Joseph Meehan wrote:

ceiling

squirrel

getting in)

Reply to
mike60510

I've watched some neighbors doing battle with squirrels in the attic for months with marginal success. I've seen others hire some Pest Control company and have the problem fixed in 3 days for $100 or so.

========================

I just had that problem a couple of years ago. The pro was not all that expensive, about $100 total as I recall. He was out three times. First to evaluate and set a trap. (on the roof close to where they were getting in) Second day he removed one and the third day got the other one and partly blocking the entrance to see if there were any more coming or going. After a few days the blockage was still there so I closed up the hole.

The little devils had gone inside a wall had before they were evicted had clawed two small holes through the drywall. I'm sure my cats would have had fun if they got the holes large enough to get in to the house.

In any case the additional cost over the cost of a trap, was worth the expertise and eliminating the need for me to get up on our two story roof.

-- Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Reply to
Gideon

I'm thinking of it! Our 2 month old kitten would probably lose the fight though.

Reply to
Steve

:) I'm guessing they are squirrels? Only a couple of days off this month and I :) want to try and do somthing tomorrow on my day off. We just started hearing :) the digging and chewing this past week in the ceiling area. Its difficult to :) gain access to the attic but I hope to place a trap up there and try to :) catch them????

If you are hearing the activity during the day they probably are squirrels. If it is at night chances are they are rats..maybe mice, with flying squirrels being a possibility if they are in your area. Squirrels chew open while rats tend to squeeze into openings so if it is a squirrel opening it should be obvious. You can find squirrel sized live traps at most hardware/home depot type stores. At

you can find live and lethal traps for squirrels along with a one way exclusion door for the openings. If they are squirrels, if caught in a live trap, I would suggest putting them down by submerging the trap in a tub of water. It would be bad to seal them up in they attic, they can readily dig through a sheet rock ceiling and get inside. I have seen squirrels go into sheds a few times over the years, but usually what is found chewing on the frame work of shed is rats. As far as chewing wire, squirrels are much more damaging than rats/mice, wires included.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

You might be suprised that the human society might rent/loan you for some time the trap for free. Give them a call.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

If you have more than one squirrel, the remains could be the cat.

;)

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

On 12/17/2004 10:11 AM US(ET), Lar took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

And let's not forget our daytime scurrying friends, Chip and Dale. I've them nesting in the soffits of my pool house.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Phisherman

The Republic of Ireland has 26 counties. North Ireland has 6 counties. Together they make one whole country and island as it was before the English messed things up. Hopefully I will live long enough to see it all re-united.

Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Had a squirrel in my attic.....got rid of them by throwing some moth balls into the attic....it forced them to leave...and then I fixed the hole they were using to enter.....haven't had a return of a squirrel yet. It's been 2 years.

I tried one of those traps in the attic, but didn't catch anything...

Good luck.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Stiegel

Moth balls will drive them out, then seal the holes.

Reply to
m Ransley

The tree huggers will love me, but the last time I got squirrels in my house's attic I used Decon rat poison. I left their access open to the attic untill I was sure the were all gone. No remains in the attic either. My understanding is they look for water and die before they get back in. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

:) The tree huggers will love me, but the last time I got squirrels in my :) house's attic I used Decon rat poison. I left their access open to the attic :) untill I was sure the were all gone. No remains in the attic either. My :) understanding is they look for water and die before they get back in.

D-con is an anti-coagulant. The go outside for water is an old exterminator's tale. Usually don't get squirrels to feed on the rat baits..now and then I'll get lucky.