More questions about my DC motor...

I pulled the 1.5hp DC motor out of my old treadmill and wired it up. It works fine. I would like to put it on my lathe, replacing the 1/2hp motor on it. Assuming I can get the pulleys right, it ought to work. (right?)
It is awfully small; could it really be 1.5 hp? I suppose it is larger than the motors in 3.5hp routers...
It is a 4800rpm motor. Presumably I would want to set my pulleys so it does 1200 rpm on full speed, and use the variable speed controller to get slower speeds. Would it still produce 1.5hp at 1600rpm, or is that reduced?
It is a 100v General Signal B4CPM-057.

You might find this of interest
http://www.homestead.com/tool20895/treadmill.html
Paul F.