More painting frustations

I painted my kitchen with semi-gloss paint over old semi-gloss paint. So far, I only did the cutting-in. The paint is high quality, 100% Vinyl.

The new paint adheres poorly to the old paint. Some areas of the ceiling are hard and tough but in other areas, the new paint can be stripped off in a thin layer (like peeling the skin off a sunburned area).

I then used a flat paint over some spots of the old semi-gloss. That was worse. The flat paint can be scraped off with fingernail.

What can I do? Did I use the wrong paint? Not enough cleaning and sanding? Do I have to scrape off the poorly adhering paint before I finish the paint job? Can I use some super-paint that will stick better?

Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Reply to
Walter R.

High quality paint is acrylic, cheap paint is vinyl.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

I like the dollar store; half gallon citrus scented, sudsy Ammonia with warm water. TSP is also great. Micro-fiber cloths are great for cleaning grease film. Clean rinse water for the final clean up.

Reply to
Oren