More painting frustations

I painted my kitchen with semi-gloss paint over old semi-gloss paint. So far, I only did the cutting-in. The paint is high quality, 100% Vinyl.
The new paint adheres poorly to the old paint. Some areas of the ceiling are hard and tough but in other areas, the new paint can be stripped off in a thin layer (like peeling the skin off a sunburned area).
I then used a flat paint over some spots of the old semi-gloss. That was worse. The flat paint can be scraped off with fingernail.
What can I do? Did I use the wrong paint? Not enough cleaning and sanding? Do I have to scrape off the poorly adhering paint before I finish the paint job? Can I use some super-paint that will stick better?
Any ideas are very much appreciated.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:48:47 -0700, Walter R. wrote:

High quality paint is acrylic, cheap paint is vinyl.
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:53:26 -0400, Bonnett Decorating

I like the dollar store; half gallon citrus scented, sudsy Ammonia with warm water. TSP is also great. Micro-fiber cloths are great for cleaning grease film. Clean rinse water for the final clean up.