More on that runaway Prius...

Of course it would. Read what I wrote.

That contradicts what most of the drivers involved have stated.

Yes, of course -- IF that's what the drivers are doing. But that's not what they *say* they're doing...

Thank you, Captain Obvious. The question is what caused the brakes to get into that condition in the first place.
Add pictures here
✖

Intentional heating by repeated application of the brake pedal according to the news. I thing we can stop speculating and assume the guy is a fraud.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:37:14 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Really? Are you absolutely sure that the computer didn't malfunction and cause the ABS brake system to do all that alleged "pumping"? That's sort of what the ABS system DOES. That's just one possibility out of many that have not been investigated yet. Are you really ready to just take the word of a Toyota employee for what happened? Toyota's main goal is to get out from under this PR disaster.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 15, 8:55 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The antilock system causing the brakes to heat up?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Or "too stupid to shift into neutral".
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 15, 2:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

It's often possible to tell if brakes have been severly overheated. The rotors show heat damage and the pads will show glazing. I'm thinking this vehicle was towed from the spot and these brakes went under a microscope. I think this guy is a fraud. I heard on the news today that he has a lawyer already.
Add pictures here
✖
Doug Miller wrote:

Never underestimate how stupid an individual can be. I have always been proven wrong every time I believe I've see it all.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
: >Doug Miller wrote: : Or "too stupid to shift into neutral".
I guess that would be a case of over-revving the engine, although newer cars may have a rev-limiter.
Add pictures here
✖

WHO F**KING CARES if it over-revs the engine -- destroying the engine is a damn sight better than piling into a bridge abutment at 100+mph like that CHP officer did a while back!
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:35:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Edmunds.com shows that trying to put the Prius in reverse will not work or damage the vehicle. The alarm beeps and goes right into neutral (70 mph).
Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqG4mZbM9rs&feature=popt02us02

Add pictures here
✖
Doug Miller wrote:

Possible malfunction of the anti-lock braking system? The systems are so reliable and have been around for so long, what could have gone wrong with the brakes on such a new vehicle?
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Rule: "Fail-safe systems often fail by failing to fail safe."
Add pictures here
✖
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I've had a 2001 Toyota 4runner try to swerve me into the opposing traffic lane when the "anti-skid" brakes decided I was in a skid and suddenly applied the brakes on the left side during a wide right turn. I managed to keep on my side of the road, but I was sure unhappy with the brake action. It was a total surprise.
Turned out that one tire had low pressure in it. Apparently the brake system computer didn't know how to respond to a low tire on a turn. The fact is, trying to quantify all the parameters into a program is not necessarily going to handle all conditions safely. I feel much safer driving a car without anti-skid brakes since this incident.
Add pictures here
✖

Anybody seen a Hydro-Boost unit with problems?? That's the one that was used on cutaway vans, some 80's Lincolns, and I'm sure many others. It ran off the power-steering pump, and had no vacuum can. I can't remember the situation exactly, maybe bad check valve, but it was possible for the power steering pump to push back on the pedal when applied, thereby releasing the brakes. It's been too many years for me to remember for sure what could cause it. Shutting the engine down would always allow them to work like any non-power brake vehicle.
Lefty
Add pictures here
✖

In the case of the Prius in SD, I'd say the driver was faking it. Very suspicious circumstances.
Add pictures here
✖