More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

Page 4 of 7
On 11/19/2012 10:31 AM, Harry K wrote:

I don't go "speedign" on purpose but when I find myself "speedign", I slow down.

which is different than slowing down because you saw a cop.
Harry K
On 11-19-2012 10:31, Harry K wrote:

When you're doing 110, slowing down is a signal you're not making a run for it. :-)
--
Wes Groleau

A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

Way back in the early 50s a town cop in Craigmont, Id had a 49 gimmy PU for a squad. Strangers would ignore it an speed by on Main St (US95). He would catch them before the got the 3 blocks out of town. Blown jimmy.
Harry K

A friend of my brothers was tagged at 170+ in his Shelby Cobra, on I74. As they explained to him, just after he rolled into his driveway, "you can outrun us, but you can't outrun our radio".
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:26:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

Zactly-- When we were guarding the nukes in Yorktown we were not allowed to go over 30[40?] MPH to catch the OOD. He could go as fast as he wanted-- and he was on our radio frequency. But we could still trap him in a few minutes.
Capt. Curtis was a slippery SOB-- but he kept us on our toes.
Jim

Unless the cop can radio your tag number the rule "lose sight, no cite" applies. You go to court and ask to see the radio transcript. He can't just say stop that red Cobra and show up a few minutes later to write the ticket. If the cop that stopped you did not see and somehow measure your illegal speed, he can't write the ticket. The cop who arrived late knows he saw SOME red Cobra speeding but it is hard to prove it was your red Cobra. Well they can always write the ticket, but they can't win in court. All you have to say is it must have been another red Cobra.
If you do outrun a cop and get out of sight of them, stop as soon as you can, get out of the car and get a cup of coffee or something. Then you have provided reasonable doubt about who the driver was. Without a tag number, recorded on the radio log, they got nothing. That radio is a double edged sword.
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:20:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That may be the way it is now but 50 years ago things were much simpler. There weren't a lot of Cobras in central Illinois (like one).

HeyBub wrote:

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Around 30% less gas mileage at 85 mph http://www.mpgforspeed.com /
Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

Suppose your destination is 85 miles away and gas costs $3.00/gallon. At 25 miles/gallon, you get there in one hour at a cost of $10.20.
Now, at 55mph, the trip takes 1.5 hours and $12.75 worth of gas, a $2.55 difference.
So, at the expense of an additional half-hour, you save $2.55 or $5.10 per hour.
If you're going to a job that pays more than about $5/hr, you're financially ahead to drive 85.
On 11/20/2012 7:43 AM, HeyBub wrote:

But that would only be if we are driving a heybub vehicle that can violate the laws of physics and move at a faster speed without requiring additional energy that none of us except you have..
Its pretty simple. It takes increasing amounts of energy to move an object such as a car at a faster speed:
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/09/tested-speed-vs-fuel-economy.html

He is saying the saved time may be worth more than the cost of the extra energy you use. I can make the same argument about a hand saw vs a skill saw but if your time is worthless, use a hand saw.
On Nov 20, 7:53am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

He aslo forgets that those few minutes saved canot be put to any useful purpose (as far as actually earning any money). I used to argue that with an idiot at work. He could save a couple minutes easch trip by speeding. I asked just where he is banking those few minutes until they added up to a useful amount of time. No answer.
Harry K

It really depends on how far the trip is then doesn't it. This is Texas, not Connecticut. Towns can easily be 80-90 miles apart.
Even here in SW Florida, I had lots of calls that were 30 miles or more apart. If you spend more time driving than actually talking to the customer in your day, an increase in speed means you can talk to more customers.
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:09:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Or you're driving 1000 miles. At 85MPH, it's a one day trip but too long at 70, so costs a hotel room and meals (and two days vacation). The national 55MPH speed limit was a _real_ drag.
On 11/22/2012 1:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

If I gotta go 1000 mi I just rent the club's Mooney.

I bet a 55MPH speed limit in that is a real drag, too! ;-)
Per snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz:

The most stressful driving I've ever encountered was in the state of Maryland when they were writing tickets for either 56 or 61 (I can't recall which). Traffic was backed up in these tight little peletons where everybody was afraid to stretch it out a little and, for reasons I don't claim to know, nobody slowed down to get out of the pack. It was *really* bad.
OTOH, since people started driving a lot faster around here (Southeastern Penna, Southern New Jersey), I find driving tb significantly less stressful than it was before bc now I can cruise the right lane for long periods of time at 70 without overtaking anybody - whereas before, it was matter of repeated lane changes to get past the people doing 60 in the right lane yet stay out of the way of people going beyond my comfort level in the left lane.
--
Pete Cresswell

I lived there then. It was 61 in a 55. One point $40. The worst part was the average speed on the beltway was 66 or so and the cops (10-15 at a time) would just jump out in the road and pull cars over 30 at a time. The whole pack got a ticket. There would be a traffic jam with 30 cars on the median or the shoulder waiting for their ticket. Then when they were all gone, everyone got back to 66, rinse, repeat.
I knew a state cop at the time and he said they were all just burned out from sitting on the side of the road writing tickets. He said if he wanted to be a meter maid he would have gone for that job. He didn't like me calling him a "speeder maid" tho.
The court system was overloaded too because the policy was, if you showed up, it was half the fine and maybe no points. (1 point for a 2 point ticket). There was also a computer game you could play to delay your points from hitting the DMV record.
It was only for the revenue. They wanted you on the road.

I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^
TDD