More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

Page 3 of 7
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:16:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

Yup, it is the same way I roll the windows down.
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:58:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You roll the windows down when your hand is on your crank? In a way, I guess that makes some sense.
Per Oren:

Ask Teddy Prendergast about that one.
--
Pete Cresswell

HeyBub wrote:

Ever drove on German Auto Bahn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0987x5PzIEk&feature=fvwrel

Per Tony Hwang:

I have and not having gone to driving school over there or even being able to understand German, have had to guess at the rules.
There seem tb three cardinal rules. I'm sure there are plenty more, but these three really jump out at me:
1) Always have your turn signal on when changing lanes or crossing any sort of lane marker.
Putting it on while changing doesn't count. Stand by an area where a truck is parked such that cars have to cross the center line and you can see them - car-after-car - flip on the turn signal before they cross the line.
2) Always, always yield the lane to closing traffic.
If they have to slow down, you didn't yield fast enough and the offended driver is obligated to flash their high beams repeatedly, scream, curse, and (if conditions permit) shake their fist out the window.
3) Never, ever, for any reason, under any circumstances pass on the right.
This makes adherence to #2 a lot easier. You pass somebody, flip the signal on, pick your opening, and ease back in the lane... Yeah, you look... but there's never anybody there - the knuckleheads that speed up when somebody "tries to cut them off" having been removed from the gene pool by some unknown mechanism.
When I was there, everybody seemed tb playing by the same rules, things may have deteriorated by now with the EU and so many more drivers from other countries....
Start a thread in a driver-related forum on the proper way to come down an on-ramp and merge with freeway traffic and you'll soon see that there is substantial lack of agreement on driving practices in the USA and near-fanatical adherence to opposing ideas of what the rules are.
All that being said, my German relatives (motorheads all...) express relief at how much less stressful it is to drive in the USA than in Germany.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Hi, I would be lying if I did not sweat when I first drove on Auto Bahn. Another crazy place to drive is say Kuwait. Seems like there is no rule of the road. Plain crazy and scary.
On 11/18/2012 5:08 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

People who will organize a demolition derby featuring Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Bugatti Veyrons have got to be completely bonkers. O_o
TDD
Per The Daring Dufas:

Germans or Mid-Easterners?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11/18/2012 7:02 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Kuwaitis you big silly. ^_^
TDD
Per The Daring Dufas:

I wonder if they're the same guys that started car surfing: http://tinyurl.com/cx432h7
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Tony Hwang:

I've been the front-seat passenger with my 23-year-old nephew (born/raised in Germany, not particularly faint of heart...) and seen beads of sweat on his forehead... and it wasn't summer....
In Mid-Eastern countries, I keep hearing most drivers just don't care that much because "...it's in God's hands..."
--
Pete Cresswell

Try Mexico City. Or Rome.
I drove in Austria this spring. What got me is there are NO SHOULDERS. And that's not just on the AutoBahn. And yes, they DO drive a bit faster than most drivers on the Canadian 401 - and with a LOT more discipline.

In Mexico City there are only 2 kinds of pedestrians - the quick - and the dead.
Per Oren:

When I drove in Puerto Rico a lot of years ago, I thought it was pretty mellow.
The secret was eye contact... make eye contact, and good things happen.
Turn signals, OTOH, seemed to intimidate people. "What's that *blinking*????? Better avoid that nutcase."
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11-18-2012 18:08, Tony Hwang wrote:

I read a "driving documentary" once with statements like:
"In Mexico, never stop unless a policeman draws his gun."
"In Japan, a pedestrian directly in front of your car has the right of way. It is your duty to ensure he never gets there."
--
Wes Groleau

“In the field of language teaching, Method A is the logical

I think Turkey or Egypt are the worst. Mobile wrecks going as fast as possible. They believe every thing is "Inchalla" so they can do what they like, it makes no difference. No seat belts of course. Lima is pretty bad too. Lunatics.
When I was young and stupid, I passed a Texas cop at 85 when the national 55 was in effect. He just smiled and waved.
He had radar, too, so he probably knew I had been doing 110 when I first saw him.
--
Wes Groleau

On 11/19/2012 12:33 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

I got a ticket east of El Paso doing 110. The ticket cost me all the money I had in my pocket. I didn't tell them about my company credit card.

It is always a puzzle to me when someone slows down when they see a cop. Reality is that if they want you they alredy have you before you saw them. Slowing down is only an admission you were speedign.
Harry K