More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

Page 1 of 7
"Perhaps by 2030 we'll be able to lawfully drive as fast as we should have been allowed to drive back in 1990. But don't count on it. There's too much revenue at stake."
and ...
"If it was "safe" and "reasonable" for a 1958 Chevy with drum brakes and bias-plys [and independent suspension, non-independent rear axle, anti-sway bars, etc.) to operate at 70, what of a 2013 Chevy with high-performance four-wheel disc brakes and 17-inch alloy wheels shod with modern radials designed for safe travel at continuous speeds in excess of 130 MPH? There isn't a new (or recent vintage) car that isn't inherently safer (more controllable, less likely to crash) at 90 MPH than any car of 1958 -- or 1968 (or 1978) -- was at 70. Yet speed limits are, for the most part, just about back to where they were circa 1970."
http://spectator.org/archives/2012/11/16/85-mph-almost-a-speed-limit
The problem with driving at 85 mph is that, even a small ripple or object on the road will make my truck lurch and I will spill my beer !!!!!

Not to mention having to put my book down to correct the steering!
Harry K

"Wait a minute, I'm just about done with the text message."

Regardless how good the cars are made, I think the weak point is people's reflexes and reaction times. The only fallacy to this is that I have also seen speed limits change back and forth for given stretches of roads. FWIW, many years ago I was told out in west Texas, people used to drive at 90+ mph minimum tho the speed limit was less. This was where it was desert and straight boring roads.

Re rflexes/reaction time. Those went out the window when it became standard to tailgate. 90% of the cars I see in moderate to dense traffic are way to close. Just eyeball the next clump of cars you see.
Re 90+ Back then, just as today, such claims are 90% BS I spent many years in the 60/70s in Central Tex (San Angelo/San Antonio) Traffic on those wide open, straight streches were the usual 'posted plus 10%' which is common in every state
I live on a major 2 lane hiway and edveryone says "drive 65 and you'll get run over (posted is 60). Odd, I hit that highway for a 50mile trip, set my speedo at 64/65 and will be passed at most by two vehicles and will pass maybe 3 in that 50 miles.
Harry K

Try driving 4-5 MPH over the limit on many highways and you'll be holding up traffic. Most 65 MPH highways I drive on run at 75 and higher.
On one major 65 MPH interstate that I drive on a lot, I set the cruise to 74 and drive right past the troopers in the medium. I gave up slowing down when I see them many years ago because they obviously allow 74. I typically drive in the left lane, moving to the right only when someone approaches from the rear at a higher speed. I don't see the sense in moving left-right-left all the time when driving 74 will mean that I will be passing a lot of - but certainly not all - cars.
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:26:47 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I did the same on I-71 going to Austin and back....set my cruise to 74 and drove by state troopers with no problem. I usually stayed in the right lane unless I needed to pass. Of course there are some who pass me up.

Yup. I do 3k mile road trip at least once a year. See it all the time in the left lane. I stay in the right lane to avoid the tailgate crowd. Usually tucked about 2-300' behind a steady going semi doing 5-10 over. Nice that trucks use cruise now. Haven't driven in Texas for years, but the Edens x-way (I-94) was the fastest local road I drove, with big groups at 85 being pretty common. Limit is 55. The one that always took the prize was I-75 right through downtown Atlanta in the daytime. Limit 55. I've been in groups doing 90-95 and we were getting passed. Never could figure that out. Last couple years has been real close to 5-10 over. And lots more mars lights.
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:45:36 -0600, Vic Smith

Funny, you remind me of when I drove to Florida from Texas. I too got into a group of cars and one 18 wheeler and we drove around 75 to 80mph (in the early 1980s). We all slowed down when the truck slowed down for "good" reason and sped up when he did too. It worked out nicely.

It works out even nicer to stay out of the parade back a hundred yards or so and then you don't need to keep making minor adjustments. Makes for a very relaxed trip.
Harry K
On 11/18/2012 7:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:

The difference is the drivers in 1958 were not busy texting.

No difference, the morons still drive as fast as they would if not texting, etc.
Harry K

I don't see a problem with 85 or even 95 under the right conditions. Daylight, dry, relatively straight road with easy curves, good tires and suspension.
Some drivers though, do stupid things. Just last week I was doing 95 and was about to pass a slower (about 95) car and he changed lanes with no signal. I just went around him, but he would have made it safer with a blink of the turn signal so I knew where he would be when I got to him.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

I cannot cite, but I read somewhere that above a certain speed the consequences of loss of control increase all out of proportion to the speed diff.
Half my family lives in Germany.
Their highways and general level of driver education are so far above ours technically that there's almost no comparison and even with Porches doing 150+ mixing it up with tandem tractor-trailers pulling out to pass at 45 they *claim* a lower freeway fatality rate than the US'.
But I lay virtually all of that to driver training and infrastructure because when they do have a pileup, it tends to be horrendous. Newscasts tend tb in the vein of "Between 7 and 10 people were killed, the exact number pending an inventory of body parts."
--
Pete Cresswell

Never drove in German, buy I have driven frequently in Italy. They don't drink coffee and put on makeup. They stay to the right. They drive faster than the US, but I feel safer

One of the things they have going for them is their intolerance for drunks driving.
Jim
Around here, ppl drive 85mph in a blizzard.

Fits the MORON in the subject.
On 11/19/2012 07:15 PM, frag wrote:

Speeders (on icy roads) are the first ones to the accident scene.