More on my Tappan Convection Oven

Thanks to the folks that answered. I ended up getting a guy in and the problem was not the igniter but was some other issue causing a lack of power at the igniter. It is a pretty complex bunch of wires since there are lots of timers and such on the control panel that we never used. One of them was causing the problem and the simplest solution was to bypass the whole mess.

The repair guy ran the power directly from the temperature selection to the thermost and to the igniter, gas valve, and blower. It now works fine and cost $80 since he did work on it for almost two hours. The only issue is that the blower only works when the heat is on; it used to run all the time as long as the oven was turned on. I'm not sure what impact that will have, I suspect it will take a bit longer to cook things.

I'm glad I didn't try to muck with this one myself; I didn't have the knowledge to take that thing apart and figure out what the problem was; I would have ended up buying an expensive igniter for no reason. I doubt those are returnable.

Reply to
dgk

Wow, that's complicated. And eighty bucks for two hours? You got off cheap.

.

The repair guy ran the power directly from the temperature selection to the thermost and to the igniter, gas valve, and blower. It now works fine and cost $80 since he did work on it for almost two hours. The only issue is that the blower only works when the heat is on; it used to run all the time as long as the oven was turned on. I'm not sure what impact that will have, I suspect it will take a bit longer to cook things.

I'm glad I didn't try to muck with this one myself; I didn't have the knowledge to take that thing apart and figure out what the problem was; I would have ended up buying an expensive igniter for no reason. I doubt those are returnable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon