More on Floating Neutral

I'm going to piggy back on Nick's floating neutral question but have changed the subject to keep his thread separate from mine.
D > >> I have been going through more light bulbs than I think I should be. D > >> Could D > >> this be do to bad electrical work on the house? D > >> When ever the clothes washer is running we can see the lights slightly D > >> pulsing in rhythm of the motor. When we start the gas dryer, the lights D > >> dim for a short moment too. D > >> D > >> What do you think could cause this and how do you think I could correct D > >> it?
D > > You did a good job of describing both ends of a floating neutral D > > problem. Mark explained what to do. If you have any questions about wha
D > > he wrote or any reservations about doing what he wrote, then call in a pr
D > > and tell him what you wrote and he should be able to fix it right up. BT
D > > this can be a fire hazard and can damage all kinds of electronic D > > equipment.
Now for my inquiry. Here when the washing machine runs can see the lights pulse in rhythm also; might just be those be on the same circuit but not 100% sure. When the air conditioner here kicks in as well as any other high-draw device the lights dim slightly during the start-up. However when the neighbour's a/c kick in we also notice a dimming of the lights during the startup. We are definately on the same pole transformer: when we loose power due to a squirrel or bird getting too friendly they also loose power.
Our service panel was upgraded to two years ago -- noticed the dimming problems before the upgrade. (New meter, new panel, original drop from the pole to the house.) Is it possible there is something wrong with the wiring at the pole?
TIA!
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Format all 10? Only 3 fit in the slot!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

Yes.
Neutral originates at the pole transformer center tap, so if there is a floating neutral and its not in the service panel then it has to be at some splice in the drop or at the transformer.
--

SVL