More leakers.

Yeah, a cabinet full of tools is pretty heavy. I've had several kitchen drawers fall apart so I tend to overbuild (and overbuy) everything. Repairing what shouldn't break pisses me off. I'd rather be building something new (and it's easier ;-). I'm really afraid the cheap cabinets will be more aggravation than they're worth.

They don't put nearly as good of a lump on the perps head as a 6xD Maglight. It's not about light, rather the perp's lights out. ;-)

Sure but I rarely do such things. I leave batteries in my Flukes because they are hard to remove. Nothing else, though. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any leaking.
1) I can't say as I remember seeing cops with huge mag lights. Maybe I don't go to enough bars in the middle of the night.
2) Third choice, save the part used batteries to give away to others.
3) Wood working is fun, also.

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 07:40:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon

So they can leak in their stuff?

Read the package very carefully. I've found that most NiMH D cells on the market are the same amp-hour rating as it's sister AA. In fact I've opened a few and found an AA cell inside, complete with the label it would have if sold in a package.
There are physical adapters to do that. I've tried them and they work but the difference in ahr capacity makes for very little run time per charge.

Good man. I have three, two in perfect condition, the third a little wounded but usable. I have lots of digital too but once in a while the old one earns it's keep.
Winston_Smith wrote:

Same here. Latest version Simpson 260, dependable, tough work horse.
i just had two more leakers today... 2x Duracell C cells in a flashlight, dated 2022... well it's 2013 and I'm sick of having to clean this white po wder BS out of my devices! and the cells were still strong too, light was super bright. I f**king hate alkalines and can't wait until I get rid of t hem all! I would have never noticed were I not deliberately checking for l eakage... (This isn't a light I use often, it sits in nightstand drawer in case power goes out while I'm asleep) got worried when I had to use a piec e of shelf liner to get enough grip on the tailcap to unscrew it... *&^%$^ &*)*!!!!
Worst part is, I am pretty sure that those cells are the ones that came inc luded with the flashlight when bought it! And now won't trust it as it's b een compromised...
On 9/7/2013 9:05 PM, N8N wrote:

Heck, buy your new batteries and flashlights that have batteries included in winter. They're less likely to have been sitting in a hot trailer during transportation. I've had rechargeables leak, even the hardwired cells. ^_^
TDD
Sorry to hear that. I'm also losing confidence in batteries of various brand. I've heard that rechargable nickel metal hydrides don't leak.
One friend of mine who lives in the south uses NiMH D cells in his lantern.
Know what you mean about not trusting things. I no longer trust Rayovac D cells, having had more than 60 of them leak. That size and brand will never again be left in any device.
On 9/7/2013 10:05 PM, N8N wrote:

2013 and I'm sick of having to clean this white powder BS out of my devices! and the cells were still strong too, light was super bright. I f**king hate alkalines and can't wait until I get rid of them all! I would have never noticed were I not deliberately checking for leakage... (This isn't a light I use often, it sits in nightstand drawer in case power goes out while I'm asleep) got worried when I had to use a piece of shelf liner to get enough grip on the tailcap to unscrew it... *&^%$^&*)*!!!!

when bought it! And now won't trust it as it's been compromised...

Looks like time to evaluate how many batteries to have on hand. I went a bit to excess, I think. I really don't use that many D cells, and bought too many. What is annoying, is that the ones which leaked were "in date" and should have been just fine for many more years of storage. I'm wondering if Rayovac has quality problems?

From some article [article in EDN or Electronics Design, or such] storing batteries in the fridge is fraught with peril. People open and close fridge doors, don't just leave things in there. As a result a slight layer of moisutre forms on the surface of the stored battery. The slight amount of moisture that comes and goes provides a discharge path and you end up with a lot of cold, dead batteries [sorry for the reference] According to the 'article' the shelf lifetime was actually less inside a kitchen fridge than at room temp, and very much longer inside a laboraotry fridge, which is not opened very much. [All from memory, but makes sense]
*IF* you're going to store batteries in fridge, store in sealed containers containing a dessicant. Then you get the advantage of the cool storage WITHOUT the moisture layer causing leakage.

On 9/5/2013 9:05 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

I thought most folks considering storing batteries in the fridge would know to put them in something airtight to keep them from getting wet. I would use zip-lock plastic bags with a teaspoon of rice in with the batteries to soak up any moisture. Of course the air should be squeezed out of the bag and when the batteries are removed from the fridge, allow them to warm up in the bag so no moisture can condense on them from the warm air. ^_^
TDD

Either great minds think alike, or we're both nuts - I just posted speculating if that would work before I read this.
nate
On 9/5/2013 9:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

We're both nuts. It will make you feel better if you just accept it and admit it. ^_^
TDD
OK, now go to your twelve step program. Nuts Anonymous.

Well, guess I failed this test. I'll get some ziploc bags one day soon.

On 9/5/2013 10:05 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

That actually makes a lot of sense. Most people don't have little packets of silica gel laying around though; I wonder if a Ziploc bag with a spoonful of uncooked rice in it would suffice?
this is more academic to me than relevant; it's an interesting question but I don't really store any alkalines; I am probably 60% or more converted from alkaline to NiMH and will be mostly alkaline-free once the Brown Santa brings me some more.
nate
Can order them on Amazon, like you can get any other thing. Sigh.
On 9/5/2013 10:32 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Hmm. I'd not heard this, but it does make sense.
Perhaps some tupperware containers would help keep me from having to pry the batteries from my cold, dead refrigerator racks.
On 9/5/2013 10:05 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 10:39:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon

When storeing them in the fridge...store them in vacuum bags and suck the air out well before closing off the bags.

"
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/battery.asp I appear to have gotten it wrong. Sigh.