More genius innovation

http://screen.yahoo.com/lazy-way-cut-grass-132958887.html
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 17:43:14 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

Great if you have a round yard. Call the Washington DC US Park Service. They can do this in the Ellipse
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 18:03:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's right. With an ellipse, one needs two posts.
On Monday, September 2, 2013 10:43:14 AM UTC-7, Red Green wrote:

My reply must have gotten lost. I was wondering whether one could adapt a one of those automated floor vacuums to cut grass. Zoomas? Goombas? Oombas? What were they called?
If a program could be written to teach the little guys to avoid furniture, walls, etc. why couldn't a more sophisticated program be written to teach a lawn mower to follow a certain trajectory.
Say you want it to go 10' one way, make a R turn, proceed the width of the mower's body, make another R, proceed length of body, and go back 10' and so on. Or any variation of the commands depending how your lawn is laid out.
When ordering the mower, I assume you'd have to furnish the figures on which the program would be based? And send it back in to have them changed.
Or is there a way to allow the user (if smart enough!) to fill in/change the figures him/herself through a higher-order command.
What do with the grass clippings? Some people just leave them there to decay and fertilize the earth. If not, buy a vaccuum attachment to the mower.
Should I apply for the patent right away <g>
HB
On 9/3/2013 4:12 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

the same company already has one of these.
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:12:35 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

It is called "MowBot" and they have been around at least 30 years although not that successfully. I assume 21st century technology might make them a lot better.
When I was a boy, someone a couple blocks away had a mowbot. I remember vaguely, the sales man put a cable around the outside edge of the lawn, it had some kind of a signal that repelled the mowbot. I thought it was clever.

of those automated floor vacuums to cut grass. Zoomas? Goombas? Oombas? What were they called?

guys to avoid furniture, walls, etc. why couldn't a more sophisticated program be written to teach a lawn mower to follow a certain trajectory.

On 9/3/2013 6:12 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I do believe there is a robot lawnmower that uses a buried electrical cable to mark the boundaries and magnetic sensor in the mower for it to determine where to turn around when it's mowing. I think the technology may have improved to the point where a robotic mower can learn and remember the yard. ^_^
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-mowers/husqvarna-robotic-mowers-for-homeowners/
http://tinyurl.com/765j656
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/pmnfpdt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQ-7gnw5co

TDD
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:12:35 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

a one of those automated floor vacuums to cut grass. Zoomas? Goombas? Oo mbas? What were they called?

, walls, etc. why couldn't a more sophisticated program be written to teach a lawn mower to follow a certain trajectory.

e mower's body, make another R, proceed length of body, and go back 10' and so on. Or any variation of the commands depending how your lawn is laid o ut.

ich the program would be based? And send it back in to have them changed.

the figures him/herself through a higher-order command.

ecay and fertilize the earth. If not, buy a vaccuum attachment to the mowe r.

Well, thanks everybody -- I guess <g> That's about the umpteenth device I' ve invented that has been around since forever.
At those prices, I'll stick with Antonio's bi-weekly Mow&Edge. Decades ago , we had a hand mower named "Lancelot". Wonder whatever happened to him...
Actually, in my little "green" city, where water is very expensive, we are encouraged, via subsidies, to convert lawns into "xeroscapic" areas, define d as water-conserving. From time to time I stroll around the neighborhood photographing houses that have converted their lawns. Gotta save up my pen nies to have my mangy lawns torn out and convert the area into something ap propriate.
HB
Keep at it. Your next great idea may well be the one that makes you rich.
Green city --> expensive. Anyone see a link?