More about paint

Page 1 of 2
Thanks for the previous answers on paint.
Another question, I'm wanting a ceiling white, but not in flat. Local BM store says most people paint their ceilings, instead of washing them. The don't carry ceiling white, in an eggshell or satin finish. I don't mind cleaning ceilings, rather do that instead of painting them when they're dirty. I realize a satin finish while show flaws more than flat. I plan on having an antique look of knock down texture.
So to the question, does anyone reading this have their ceilings in a satin/eggshell finish? Or, am I just some kind of nut?
Many thanks.
On 6/16/2012 9:26 PM, Gomba wrote:

The lines will show thru on a white ceiling with any gloss, unless you spray.
The only place I wold have an eggshell ceiling is bathrooms, ones with showers, so that it's easier to clean the ceiling mould and other things that come with bathrooms...

I agree with Duesenberg, eggshell non-flat paint should only be used in bathrooms which require relatively frequent ceiling cleaning. I only paint ceilings, never wash/scrub. Painting is so much easier, expecially if you use one of the color-changing ceiling paints.
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:42:26 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

unless it's had an oil base paint applied previously!!!!

bathrooms. Both bathrooms in my house are satin. Kitchen is wall-papered (don't ask).
On 6/16/2012 9:26 PM, Gomba wrote:

I've painted a few ceilings and have never used paint specific for ceilings....and I could never figure out why there was a special paint. Use a paint is best for your taste and application. I use alkyd semi for kitchen and bathroom ceilings, and satin for other living areas should be fine. Prep, as always, carefully and according to label.

*For the past several years I have used Benjamin Moore Super White in eggshell for all of my ceilings. Most of the lighting here is recessed so it is difficult to see any ceiling variations.

That's the exact color from the same vendor we're thinking about. Just finished installing 17 can LED lights on dimmers in various rooms. Was wondering about bounce back from the lighting. Right now, the ceilings are BM flat ceiling white.
Gomba wrote:

"Ceiling paint" is formulated differently than other paints. It is thicker, to better hide stains. Ceiling paint is usually white to brighten a room and focus attention on the walls and decor. White ceilings also make the room seem larger.
HeyBub wrote:

Light colors advance, dark ones recede. If you want a really high ceiling, paint it black. Many commercial places do.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That would be contrary to what one designer said on tv. He said it makes the room seem smaller. I agree with him.
Greg

I sure don't. Darker ceilings bring them down and make the room seem smaller. ...like a cave. If the ceilings are already 25' up, like they are in large warehouse style structures, maybe, but not standard residential 8-9' ceilings.
gregz wrote:

Dunno. Everytime I paint a ceiling, I'm amazed at how much bigger it is than I thought it was.
gregz wrote:

So do I. So does anyone that paints (artists). So does any knowledgeable photographer, designer, decorator, architect, etc.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

There's a lot of tricks with color - and trim, like crown molding, to trick the eye. Paint the ceiling white makes it appear higher. Put up crown molding - makes the rooms look bigger. That's what my wife says anyway. Looks like she's right. Flat white ceilings in all rooms but kitchen and bath has been standard for me forever. Semi-gloss for kitchen and bath. Other than that, wife picks color. I only fight against darker shades, past light pastels. But sometimes I lose the fight, because she does nearly all the painting. It's all minor differences to me unless you go too dark.
-- Vic
On 6/16/2012 8:26 PM, Gomba wrote:

We put bright white semi-gloss on every ceiling we do. It looks great!
--
Steve Barker

Are your ceilings PERFECTLY flat?: Otherwise, a shiny surface shows all defects in great detail.

Shadows also show defects, and flat paint seems to amplify that.
Greg

Nothing like a reflection. Ever into a curvy mirror? There is a reason ceiling paint is almost always flat.
On 6/17/2012 1:44 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

no, they are knock down texture. Like the OP said his was.
--
Steve Barker